Check Those New Cob Pipes Before You Smoke Them.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Well..... a brand new over lacquered Missouri Meerschaum General Cob ruined my first bowl of Windjammer. If you buy one of these pipes make sure there isn't a bunch of lacquer up top. This crap started fizzing and caught fire on my second light. Used a soft flame too. BS. I could still taste that crap. View attachment 67694
Ah, it'll burn off. Probably not too bad for you. Just smoke through it.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I know I've smoked my fair share of varnish.. I've been telling myself its food grade or something... but the truth is that the shit could have mercury or arsenic in it.

I love my cobs.. there is a break in period for them, though.
Yeah man. The taste is finally clearing. You could actually see how much is on there even after the burn off. Looks like glossy bubbles on the rim edge. First time this happens, I have maybe 16-17 Cobs

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I just got a general, and it also had thick lines of lacquer or something similar running down the inside of the bowl. I’ve been trying to scrape it off before the first smoke. Now that I know it’ll catch fire and taste terrible I’ll scrape more diligently.
Yes do so, I should have done that but didn't think it was going to catch fire like that.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I just got a general, and it also had thick lines of lacquer or something similar running down the inside of the bowl. I’ve been trying to scrape it off before the first smoke. Now that I know it’ll catch fire and taste terrible I’ll scrape more diligently.
I quite like my general cob. I would suggest diligent scraping instead of chucking into a fire, like friend up above did

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I sand the shit out of new construction that show overzealous application of lacquer/varnish/hydrocarbon look-pretty. Then I sand some more and wipe with a couple wet paper towels. Haven't tasted it yet. Like you, if I burnt it and tasted it, I'd pull the stem and chuck the bowl into the fire, garbage can, what have you. Life is too short to smoke paint!

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I sand the shit out of new construction that show overzealous application of lacquer/varnish/hydrocarbon look-pretty. Then I sand some more and wipe with a couple wet paper towels. Haven't tasted it yet. Like you, if I burnt it and tasted it, I'd pull the stem and chuck the bowl into the fire, garbage can, what have you. Life is too short to smoke paint!
Seriously man, that thing pissed me off. I'm good now but it ruined my evening of smoking.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
EJimmy How in the world?!!

I have two new Country Gentlemen specimens here. Both have black stain partway (halfway) down each bowl.

But what are you smokin???

17E63649-FA6B-4674-BCD2-4A714B360758.jpeg
Did yours look like these???

Btw... the one on the right I’ve had over 7 years. MM Diplomat

Reactions: eljimmy