PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Captain Black Grape
Captain Black Grape is the latest entry from the largest-selling brand of pipe tobacco in the US. Using the same blend of white Burley, Bright Virginia and black Cavendish as Captain Black Regular, Captain Black Grape is finished with a lively, sweet note of grape for a room-pleasing aroma, but a subtly zesty flavor. We expect this blend to be one of their most popular yet. Give it a try today!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You have to wonder if that kind of blend is what raises hackles among those who would "protect the children". I love grape, vanilla, cherry, peach, etc, but not in my tobacco or coffee.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Grape. I believe among the scores or hundreds of non-tobacco flavorings I've seen used in pipe tobacco, this is the first grape I've seen. If this makes you shudder, just keep in mind, aromatics are 95-plus % of pipe tobacco sales.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I used to razz Sutliff's retired blender, Carl McAllister, about making a grape blend. He'd always say, "Never!" We used to laugh about that one.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If this makes you shudder, just keep in mind, aromatics are 95-plus % of pipe tobacco sales.
Yep ... and Bud, Coors and Miller are the top beer sellers.
There's just no accounting for most people's taste! :mrgreen:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
da7e15b25d62b0b5e6d97eb2970a3185.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It sounds pretty horrible to me, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and the phrase "grape flavored" just sounds like it would be sweet and candy-ish. In addition to that, much like coffee, there are flavors I think are compatible with the taste of tobacco, and grape is not one of them.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Gots to compete with the blunts and the Black & Milds... I guess. Sounds disgusting, just as Captain Bob's Blend is disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.