PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
It's under the "Specials" tab. A lot of 'meh' deals but some pretty amazing bargains there too!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Link for lazy people like me:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/2017-End-of-Summer-Tin-Sale/2004750/

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been seeing some aggressive pricing from the Dunhill line that seems counter to the idea that they're going out of business?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I hope you are right, Mr. New Broom, sir. It could be that a faction in the company is trying to pump up sales in order to argue for retention of the brands.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/dunhill-the-royal-yacht-pipe-tobacco/1439869/#p-101750
I recall PCI doing this before and it's great. The C&D sale as SP is also tempting because I blow through a ton of those blends AND their mixing tobaccos, which are great. C&D, GH/SG, Dunhill and Peterson receive the largest share of my pipe tobacco purchasing business because they are the sweet spot on the price/performance curve.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
This sale is really nice. Some of the prices were pumped up to make the sale not as sale-y, SPC tobaccos are some. But there are great deals on those pages!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
newbroom, just as a business page wonk, I think Dunhill is probably negotiating a sale to some other tobacco outfit or some other corporate entity, since I can't see a developed brand like this just swallowing the loss. Whether they pull it off remains to be seen, but I can't believe they're not trying, and their new blends and other visibility doesn't suggest they're walking away. Looks like money on the table to me.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
With all due respect, these are pricing decisions made at the retail level by P&C, not by the licensees of the Dunhill name.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good point. But is there a way that manufacturers can offer incentives/sales? They can in basically any other industry, so I ask.
Between this and SPC's sale on C&D blends, I am sorely tempted, but to say it has "bad timing" is an understatement.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I am happy to see some of their Hearth and Home tins on sale, but there is no break on bulk prices. Like you could get Vermont Meat Candy 3.30 per ounce, but by the pound you got a 70 cent break. That's gone. I understand why. Just hoping they will put some of their bulk tobaccos on sale someday. They have a great product

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I've loaded my cart up a dozen times and scrapped it. On one hand, Royal Yacht at $7.50 is terrific. I should buy 10+ Tins. They also have some good prices on a few of my other staple smokes.
There is also a chance to try some tobaccos that are allegedly good that I have never tried. I am tempted by some of the RO offerings like the Golden Triangle and Perique blends Russ did.
Lastly, I hear good things about some of those TSGUE blends and they are $4.99 a pop.
As mentioned before, it's bad timing for me. I just spent a zillion dollars on supplies and materials for my classroom. I have about $40-$50 to burn on this sale at best.
It's a very nice sale. There is something in there for about everyone.
I'm leaning towards the RO Perique blends. I can always add to my mountain of RY another time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@lasttango is obviously a person of good taste.
This is the only link you need:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/dunhill-the-royal-yacht-pipe-tobacco/1439869/#p-101750

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
This is one reason I like all sponsors or store owners chiming in. They get a feel for what we want. I also like having a better selection through many places.
One place sells Choward's gums and mints. For some reason I think I had those in a previous life. The scented and violet ones are super. I would have never seen them if I was not looking for tobacco.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I spent quite awhile on their list of tobaccos, and found that almost every time I clicked on the obvious best buy for a batch of anything flaked or plugged was 'not available'. Imagine that?
Firestorm may be the best tinned value on the site? I think it's one of Russ' best, and THAT'S saying something!

Jun 27, 2016
David
One place sells Choward's gums and mints. For some reason I think I had those in a previous life. The scented and violet ones are super.
I know it's off-topic, but that purple lavender-flavored gum brings back a lot of memories!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I am happy to see some of their Hearth and Home tins on sale, but there is no break on bulk prices. Like you could get Vermont Meat Candy 3.30 per ounce, but by the pound you got a 70 cent break. That's gone. I understand why. Just hoping they will put some of their bulk tobaccos on sale someday.
Ask and ye shall receive. Someone must have been playing around where they don't belong and turned off the quantity discount for Vermont Meat Candy. It should be functioning properly by the time this gets posted.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.