PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I have noticed, from one of my regular suppliers a pensioners mix made of various sweepings of this and that tobaccos with an added flavouring. While buying loads of small samples I have collected a jar of my own pensioners mix to which i also intend to add all my other bits of cast off tobacco (royal yacht are you listening) and maybe a bit of extra virginia or latakia to dilute it. What are peoples thoughts on this? is adding good tobacco to bad worth while ever? Or shall I just smoke the virginia and chuck the scraps? Anybody had any good results?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I put all of my leftovers in one jar and mix it up. I call it "Toaster Leavins'"(with a nod to Al Bundy). It's a real Mulligan Stew and very interesting. Have fun with it and write down what you put into it. I didn't and now wish I had.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I forgot to mention that I also toss in the oak cubes that come with some of the McClelland blends. They add a bit of something to my melange.

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
I had a couple bowls of Borkum Riff Cherry from a whole pouch that I was gifted. After two bowls, decided I was done with the stuff and thought about blending it in with other good baccy. Instead, I dumped the pouch into the ceramic crock by my fireplace where I keep kindling and fatwood to start fires. All winter, whenever I built a fire, I got a nice whiff of cherry when laying up the fire, amazing how the cherry odor infused itself into the kindling.

owen

May 28, 2014
Well I have started it and its not too bad I have a gwaith hogarth pig tail to use up so a bit of that has gone in also, and as I always say, not as bad as Dunhill Royal Yacht.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my experience, it's hit or miss. I do sweep-up mixes with full rights to throw the whole thing in the

compost if it isn't tasty. Life is too short to puff your way through a bad batch. Feed it to the compost

or the roses, along with the coffee grounds. But sometimes you hit it just right. Your penance is, you

won't ever have that exact mix of random leavings again. But when it's good, it's good.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
I did this for a while, even crushed up some Swisher Sweets when I mistakingly bought the tipped kind. It was nice until I added a terrible baccy to try and make it better. It ruined the whole thing, and I havent tried it since
So; if a baccy is no good on its own, dont add it to your "whatcha got bacccy". Otherwise, its great.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I take the leavings of various English/Balkan tobaccos and toss them into an empty 2oz. Cannister and occasionally dip into it usually at night for something different. Maybe it's because it's an unmeasured mixture of everything that I like but I find it to be very good. It's different enough that it breaks from the norm yet it's familiar enough to not spook me off of it. I call it a tobacco casserole. ;-)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My mother did something similar to that with leftovers from the fridge. They usually ended up as a horrifying version of "shepherd's pie" that should have been outlawed by Geneva convention.
When the steaming mess was plopped on the dinner table, Mom would proclaim that she hadn't yet poisoned anybody, to which I would reply, "Not for lack of trying."

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@sablebrush52 my Mother was in the habit of doing that as well. I always put it down to her living through WWII and then the rationing post war. I was wrong. It was something people just did. All meat was cooked to the consistency of burnt offerings just in case it might contain a tape worm! All meat was accompanied by lorry loads of boiled cabbage and potatoes - up until the age of eleven we went through six cooks at home due to this dietary insanity. Little wonder my Father was (a) vegetarian (b) ate at his club as often as possible!

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
every time I am done smoking a bag of this or tin of that I throw the remnants into a cornucopia mix of different flavors and blends.I have a bowl of this everynow and then and just love the complexity also it is always mellow so I can mix it with my roll cake which has a bit of a spicyness to it.

owen

May 28, 2014
Well it has been inspirational for me. My mix has included some horrid tobaccos but I am really enjoying it, and am now planning to make some blends to try and suit my taste. Also my mix is very scarce, there are only about 3 bowlfuls left in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.