Cheap Unlimited Internet Service Anywhere?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Just moved out rurally and was happy to be able to get fiber pulled to our house for $300. Service is quoted as 1000Mbps for a little over $100/month and clocks in down and up in the high 900s, which is good enough for working from home and running resource-heavy software. Very few service interruptions (which is why we went with the high dollar package, so they're motivated to keep us when the electric company finishes installing competitor fiber in the area later this year). Our ISP gets the bandwidth from Spectrum who gets it from Charter who I believe is a subsidiary of Xfinity which is owned by Comcast.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Ha… Comcast/Xfinity, which is the most expensive, but it includes the worse customer service for free ?
For sure. They were our ISP in the big city, but unavailable here, which is a blessing. The locals offer better customer service and a better price.

When we called to cancel after moving, the Comcast troll my wife was talking to repeatedly tried to sell us service at our new house. After my wife told her several times that Xfinity isn't available out here, she finally said, "Sure, sign us up with everything - TV, Internet, and Phone - the platinum package for everything!" and then gave our address. The Comcast troll looked it up and said, "Oh, sorry, we're not out there yet. Would you like to be put on a list for when we are?" I get that training costs money, but by not training staff appropriately, the communication to the customer is that they are nothing more than a dollar sign. While that may be true, there's a lot to be said for professionalism.

Reactions: STP

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
There's one podcaster in Nebraska who did all of his early shows live from inside his car while parked at a restaurant and using their wifi. He and his co-host later moved on to doing their podcast simultaneously live on their local LP radio station and online.

Reactions: STP
Aug 1, 2012
When I was living in Latvia, we had insanely fast, unlimited internet for $35 a month. At the time, the internet service there was the 5th fastest in the world. That was through Tele2.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I get wifi and cable tv on one plan, but it ain't cheap. I'm wary of switching because this somewhat works. The providers are not comparable. You can change for savings and find you haven't got anything you had. I'd like to be someone who can wring the benefit out of a buck, but in tech, I don't seem to do that.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Home internet is not that fast. I’m rural, if my username didn’t give it away, and they wouldn’t run fiber or cable to my house, so I’m still on DSL, which apparently stands for damn slow & laggy. ?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
We use Century Link. Its ok speed for 2 people. $40 a month for life is what we signed up for.

Status
Not open for further replies.