PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have never smoked a corn cob pipe. Only briar. I am looking to buy a few not only as a way to taste different blends that I might want to keep away from my briars but also to experience the merits of this type of pipe. I see some inexpensive options: Missouri Meerschaum, Meerschaum Depot etc. I don't want to go too cheap if there is a reason not to. Any advice on this initial purchase?

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
The only corn cob pipes worth smoking are Missouri Meerschaum. They are top quality, and made in the usa. They are stocked by most of the major suppliers of pipes and tobacco, or you can order them direct from the factory at http://corncobpipe.com. The most popular style is the Country Gentleman.
Note, that cheap Chinese made cobs are sold on eBay, but avoid those at all cost. They are total junk, and may even be toxic, being made of questionable materials.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
My dad had a Chinese cob that started on fire. I made sure that Santa brought us each a bat of Missouri smokeable seconds. They smoke great so far!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
You can't go wrong with MM cobs. I would stay clear of anything made in china when it comes to your cobs. They tend to be exactly that... MADE IN CHINA. You get what you pay for. You can get a quality cob from MM for a little more (10 bucks or so), but it will be worth it. I still have cobs that I bought a couple years ago from MM that are beat up and awful looking, but they still smoke great!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Chinese = chemicals and low quality.
MM is the only way to go. Reasonably priced, large selection. When you want to go farther, add a Forever stem from Walkers, worth every penny.
My personal favorites are the Diplomat, Danish Egg, and my new Cobbitt, the Dwarf. I have several others, but these are my "favorites". If you want variety at a reasonable cost, get a bag of seconds, they'll still be better quality than Chinese.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
As all others here have already said, Missouri Meerschaum is the only way to go. You can get a basic MM for under $5, which is only $2-3 more than you would pay for a terrible Chinese cob. I would recommend the Missouri Pride as as a general purpose starter, or an Eaton for flake tobaccos.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Considering that MM cobs are so reasonably priced and of good quality why would anyone try to go cheaper?

If one can't afford a measly few bucks for a good MM cob than such a person certainly can't afford to smoke a pipe in the first place.
This is not directed at the OP, but just a simple observation and fact on those trying to purchase cheap cob's.

Feb 13, 2015
I've got an Old Dominion that I bought through Smoking Pipes. They are nice pipes and historically accurate. I believe you can also purchase them through their website. They only offer three styles though.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
i recommend old dominion first, and of course MM, but i also got a fun cob from this guy

www.rsantiapipes.com/ the tampers that came with that pipe were wooden golf tees! they work well on the very small chamber on the smallest old dominion pipes...

rivervalley

Lurker
Feb 15, 2015
I have smoked cigars for years and am fairly new to the world of pipes. I bought an old Savinelli from a flea market a few months ago and set about cleaning and restoring. The info I found here really helped and a byproduct of my research was that I got totally hooked on pipes and pipe culture. The old Sav came out very nice and I enjoy lighting it up once or twice a week. The days in-between firing up the Sav I go to my MM Missouri Pride. No way I ever thought a $5 pipe could replace the enjoyment of my precious cigars. But it did!! I still enjoy a cigar sitting on my porch late in the evening but most nights are now taken by the inexpensive little MM. They smoke cool, smooth and easy. How can you beat that for such a cheap investment!!! I am now, truly a cob fanatic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Missouri Meerschaum are classics. The addition of Forever Stems to these, although it removes the filter capability,

improves them even further and I highly recommend it. They come all the way from very small bowls for short smokes

and sampling, to extra ample bowls in their General and freehand pipes. They come from Washington, Mo., where

they have been manufactured for a very long time. If you don't want to go to the Forever stems, I suggest a softies

for the bits, to make the stems last longer.
Old Dominion corncob pipes are excellent as well. The reed stems are permanent and non-filtered; the reed serves

as both the shank and stem and harkens back to the 1950's and before when all or most corncob pipes were built this

way, and further back into history. I own the Chesapeake, a great small pipe for short smokes and sampling, and

their Laughing King, which is a good medium size pipe. If you don't own an Old Dominion pipe, you really should.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I would think the Washington model to be a great value. Half of all my cobs that have been smoked, (about 15) are Washington's. The other larger one's are harder to clench for me.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
You guys got me in the mood for a cob! Smoking some PS flake in my MM cob as we type!

Status
Not open for further replies.