PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sonnya

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
I want a smoke that is pleasant and to me, that could be something sweet and mellow taking in that great morning or afternoon smoke. I have purchased loads of different aromatics from cherry, peach, Carmel, and chocolate to Mississippi Mud. Gets hot, bitter, and harsh not mellow. Cult I did get some enjoyment but this is not my go-to blend that I am so hoping to find. Looking for number #1

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Leave the aromatics for a change of pace.
Sutliff RR(Edgeworth match)?
Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut(PS 41)?
These two have some sweetness (chocolate and honey respectively) but aren't goopy, don't smoke hot(if sipped!) and can be bought in bulk, so you can try them without a big investment.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I want a smoke that is pleasant and to me, that could be something sweet and mellow taking in that great morning or afternoon smoke. I have purchased loads of different aromatics from cherry, peach, Carmel, and chocolate to Mississippi Mud. Gets hot, bitter, and harsh not mellow. Cult I did get some enjoyment but this is not my go-to blend that I am so hoping to find. Looking for number #1
It seems to me that you might be doing it wrong.
When pipe tobacco gets hot and bitter it's because it is smoked too fast.
I recommend that you let your tobacco dry until it is crunchy, pack it lightly and smoke it as slowly as you can.
This matters because even the blend that is perfect for you will taste like someones used socks if you don't do it right.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The hardest thing to learn is to smoke SLOW. This is true for any tobacco blend, but especially aromatics. Dry them, pack light (can always pask more), and then smoke as slowly as possible. The hotter the pipe gets, the worse the flavor will be.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
A good beginner blend that is flavorful and easy going is Carter Hall, but unfortunately the pouches arent really available.

The most mellow and easy to smoke cherry that I know of is Sutliff Match Middleton Cherry. It's like the un-cherry cherry and isn't a fuss to smoke.

Flavorful (and personal favorites) Virginia flakes are Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake (think Golden Grahams) and Newminster 400 (vaguely coconut-ish, but not really?). Both have good body to them.

Other classic Burley blends like Sir Walter Raleigh and Half and Half are also flavorful and mellow and easy going to smoke.

Beyond all that, it's hard to go wrong with any of the house blends from Watch City from a flavor and smokability standpoint!

Reactions: El Capitán
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I would try some lightly topped blends. I tried alot of aromatics early on because the smell and description was intriguing. However, I have never enjoyed smoking an aro. Most don't taste how they smell. It also took me some time to learn how to smoke them so that I could enjoy them.
What really set me off in the beginning was lightly topped Virginia blends. Stuff like Newminister 400 or Mac Baren Vanilla Flake, PS Luxury Twist. Also check out Warped The Red Hunt.

YMMV - this is just my experience. Sounds counterintuitive, but I started getting a world of flavor after switching to blends like this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Leave the aromatics for a change of pace.
That's about all I smoke anymore. Sounds like the OP just needs to develop good packing and smoking techniques before delving into flavored blends.

If you're producing a lot of smoke, you're getting them way too hot. Try just gravity filling the pipe and slow way down on the cadence

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I just filled my downsized Watson Junior (still has a nice sized bowl) with aro scraps (two different blends) that have been sitting on a paper plate for a few days. Crispy. Having one of the easiest going bowls I’ve had in awhile. I like it on the dry side but seem to forget what dry is, lol. Pipe is rusticated, the bowl is barely even warm in my hand. Sipping and reading.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
When I first started on the pipe Panna Cotta by Sutliff was the only tobacco I could get any flavor from. It smoked cool even when I hotboxed it because I thought more smoke meant better smoking. Thanks to it a Petersen System pipe and this forum I started to figure it out and know can enjoy all tobacco, and I do mean all.:ROFLMAO: I've tried at least 100 blends over the past 18 months and liked them all.

Reactions: edger

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Orlik Golden Sliced is my very definition of pleasant

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Perhaps you are getting the aroma of burning wood from your briar, corncob pipe. When smoking fast. Among other things, which the partners here also comment on.

Reactions: edger