PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I notice that descriptions of the condition of some estate pipes include the expression "charring around the airway". Assuming this means charring at the point where shank meets bowl, how does this even happen ? Seems like one would have to be pretty aggressive in wanting to burn every last iota of tobacco at the bottom, which I imagine very few of us actually do. And then, what is the practical effect of the charring ? Does it affect......what ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Assuming this means charring at the point where shank meets bowl...
Pretty sure it's in the heel of the chamber, where the airway begins.

And, wow, melting of the tenon! (Duane)

Never seen it, but I believe it. Unfortunately, the word charring is often used imprecisely, from lava, to sooting, to cake, to actually charring of the briar, which is very bad. In the latter case, the wood is damaged, and cannot just be cleaned up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is what happens when someone is determined to burn through every last thread of tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. Smoking to the very bottom of the bowl is something that neophytes or cretinous experienced smokers do. Smoking to the very bottom of the bowl is one of those dumb ass myths that provides income for carvers as smokers burn out their existing pipes.
You let the last little bit go unburnt, dump it, and don't go sending any flamethrowers down the chamber in a search and destroy mission. Your pipe will be the better for it.

As for what is the practical effect of charring the base of the chamber? Weakening the structural integrity of the pipe.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
sometimes it happens just due to the briar by the airway.
If it's thin, has tearaway, or has a flaw it can burn.

it doesn't really hurt anything if it's a small spot and you build cake normally but I would be worried how much there is...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A small flap of briar could be burnt away with no ill effect. But to actually char the heel is a no-no. I do tend to smoke all the way to a *fine white ash™, as I like the heat to dry the briar, and I am cheap.

*fine white ash™
For anyone new, this phrase is somewhat of a joke, taken from some reviewers overuse of the term.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
oh yes.. burning the bottom of the bowl or heel is a totally different matter.
I'm talking more of a small char or burnt splinter on the top of the airway... I feel this is common.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm guessing that the problem is more common in pipes with airways that are drilled high with respect to the bottom of the bowl; and, I imagine, some shapes, like Oom Paul's and cavaliers, where the airway meets the bowl at a steep angle.

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
definitely true IMO.
the smaller the "wedge" of briar left there, the easier it is to char it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are going to burn a bowl to white ash without damaging the pipe, it will happen on its own, like a race horse that runs its own race and the jockey just stays out of the way. You should be surprised to find only the dusting of ash. Dottle, don't worry about it. It's done its duty filtering the rest of the bowl.

This is what happens when someone is determined to burn through every last thread of tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. Smoking to the very bottom of the bowl is something that neophytes or cretinous experienced smokers do. Smoking to the very bottom of the bowl is one of those dumb ass myths that provides income for carvers as smokers burn out their existing pipes.
You let the last little bit go unburnt, dump it, and don't go sending any flamethrowers down the chamber in a search and destroy mission. Your pipe will be the better for it.

As for what is the practical effect of charring the base of the chamber? Weakening the structural integrity of the pipe.

Perfectly said.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I think I sometimes to often fall into that "cretinous experienced smoker" category. LOL I routinely smoke to the bottom of the bowl but I don't believe I char the airway by trying to light ash either. There is an occasional minor issue of having to clear out some cake from the airway at the bottom of the bowl. I am proud to be a cretinous experienced smoker. I think I'll add that as a sig tag. :col:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would add, despite being a cretinous experienced smoker, or even a cretinous smoker, I've yet to burn out a pipe at the bottom of the bowl or even close to it. I have had a couple of pipes with hidden sand pits on the side of the bowl burn out. I believe that happened due to the sand pits and had nothing to do with my cretinous nature.

I feel compelled to compliment Jesse on having the rare ability to levy somewhat of an insult while making the recipient laugh their arses off. That takes real finesse and skill, something my bull in the china shop approach is completely unfamiliar with.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
^ that's called being passive-aggressive. ;)

I routinely smoke to the bottom of the bowl.. or dang near it.
but when it goes out way down there I don't try to relight.
I have tried to relight that low a few times mainly because I thought there was more tobacco there!

I have Peterson pipe pamphlets as well as from other makers that state you should always smoke down to ash in the bowl when breaking in starting with half bowls.
So I think opinion on this matter is somewhat split.

Reactions: wulfheard

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I always smoke to around a quarter of an inch, more or less, from the bottom. At that point, especially as I am a slow smoker, of genus non-cretinous please god, I find the extra relights to be a pain in the ass. So the concept of charring the airway was foreign to me.
Thanks gents.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I always smoke to around a quarter of an inch, more or less, from the bottom. At that point, especially as I am a slow smoker, of genus non-cretinous please god, I find the extra relights to be a pain in the ass. So the concept of charring the airway was foreign to me.
Thanks gents.

Never measured it, but that’s roughly where I end up as well. After cork-knocking, I have to admit I’ve felt a sense of shame at that small amount of innocent perfectly smokable dottle. “If only I could have smoked you!”

Reactions: B.Fee and mngslvs
Status
Not open for further replies.