PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac3boyz

Lurker
Nov 23, 2019
Another pipe I picked up at an Antique store a few years back. It appears to be from the Lane period but from the info I've read, none of the pipes during that period had tapered stems. Maybe the stem is a replacement even though it has the CP markings. I did find a model 33 "Bell Dublin" in a 1951 catalogue but it was a straight grain. Any ideas on when it was made and an estimate on current value. Thanks for any info.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The encircled "L" doesn't always signify they are Lane period pipes. This is a pipe that was imported by Lane (and therefore stamped "L") but preceding the "Lane period." If my dusty overfed holiday memory serves me correctly it's between 1955 and 1960/1. Further the code is numerals only, not alpha-numeric.

Great pipe by the way.

[EDIT] I just looked it up to confirm. Seems it's what's called a late 'Rueben's era' pipe.

Reactions: Ac3boyz
Oct 7, 2016
Lane era. 33 is a standard shape number, shows on shape charts more or less consistently for many years. Bought a Special 33 out of the Lane reps stock at a trunk show at Royal Cigar in 1980 or 1981.

Reactions: Ac3boyz

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Oct 7, 2016
I was a heavy collector of Charatan’s until the early 1990’s. There is a lot I don’t know about Charatan dating. That was true of all Charatan collectors then. But I do remember many pipes I owned and when and where I acquired them. I have yet to find any internet source that is 100% consistent with my own recollections. Usually not even close. Except what @kenbarnes posts here from his own experience

Reactions: Kottan

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
This, in my opinion is an early one. I think Barry told me that in 1967, after some discussion he had with my father, for various reasons they changed the shape numbers to include the size of the shape and this 33 became a 333 X (at that time). In the catalogue, which I am looking at, and from around 1967 I think, This pipe came in a group 3 (size 3) only and was fitted with a saddle mouthpiece hence the X. In this brochure, there are certain shapes which were fitted with DC mouthpieces so the Catalogue is post November 1964. In the 1951 catalogue the Bell Dublin came in 2 sizes 33 & 32 which was a size smaller. These were fitted with a taper mouthpiece (similar to this one). I think that this one was made between 1961-64 . Please do not take my word on this, it is a gut feeling rather than factual.
I am learning each day and would be interested in other Charatan collectors' views.

Status
Not open for further replies.