PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Just got an email about these dropping at SP. I can't help but notice these all seem to be 1:1 copies of Dunhill blends. The big 3 (Emp, 965, & Nightcap) all mirrored respectively in First Bowl, No. 10 Mixture, and Eventide. Then there's Flake and Rolls. Anyone else noticed?

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
Seems like that's exactly what they're doing. I'll be interested to try these.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
When Dunhill stopped doing pipe tobacco and before Peterson took over, Charatan made Dunhill duplicates. I heard they weren't all that close to what Dunhill was. Peterson on the other hand is exactly what Dunhill was from same factory.
@bullet I got a tin of Charatan First Bowl recently to smoke in my clay pipe; never heard of it before. It contains a bit of Latakia (which I don't normally like much) but not enough to blow my Cavalier hat off:)

Reactions: bullet08

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I smoke a lot of EMP so I’m interested to see how First Bowl tastes. It is supposed to be an EMP substitute but from what I’ve read it sounds like it’s may be somewhat different.
I’m hoping it is a “new” oriental forward English that is reminiscent of EMP and not just a bad copy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When Dunhill stopped doing pipe tobacco and before Peterson took over, Charatan made Dunhill duplicates. I heard they weren't all that close to what Dunhill was. Peterson on the other hand is exactly what Dunhill was from same factory.
1. Dunhill stopped making tobaccos in the early 1980's.

2. Dunhill outsourced the making of their blends to Murray's and McConnell, back when those were still independent companies. Murray's is extinct. McConnell was eaten by K&K.

3. Through a series of trades and acquisitions more Byzantine and incestuous than the average hillbilly family, BAT ended up owning the Dunhill name for use with tobacco products.

4. STG was licensed by BAT to use the Dunhill name on a line of clones they created.

5. STG also owns the Peterson name for use with tobacco products, not to be associated with Peterson pipes.

6. BAT pulls the plug on STG made Dunhill blends because Dunhill wants to disassociate itself from tobacco.

7. K&K, under its McConnell IP, there no longer being a legitimate and separate McConnell company, attempts to create a set of its own clones of pseudo Dunhill clones with really unfortunate names.

8. Some other company that owns the Charatan name for tobacco products puts out its own set of clones.

9. STG successfully negotiates with BAT to continue making their Dunhill branded clones, just without the Dunhill name. STG gets the blends names and the packaging artwork from the former Dunhill/Murray's line.

10. Since STG also owns the Peterson name for making tobacco products, they stick that name on the tins in place of Dunhill and continue to make their clones.

11. The Charatan branded clones are now being pushed.

None of this has anything to do with actual Dunhill tobaccos, just famous names now owned by large conglomerates. There is no magic here. You still might find the blends enjoyable. But Dunhill, Charatan, McConnell, Peterson, anything they are not and never were.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I've tried Charatan's Curzon Mixture (a 'replica' of Durbar), but never tried it's model so can't say how they compare. It was an ok smoke, I suppose. Ghosted everything with latakia.

From what I can gather, Charatan created their own match blends and never had the original recipes (which STG does possess). Their attempts to claim to be a Dunhill replacement seems unfortunate, as everything I've read about them suggests that they are decent blends in themselves, but nothing like what they claim to be, leading to disappointment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No, just the rights to use the name. Recipes aren’t all that helpful, since components vary year to year, production lines vary which change the result of the processing, flavorings vary, etc. What’s needed is a super taster to try and approximate the target. Even Murray’s, which did get Dunhill stocks and methods originally, changed the blends to make them cheaper and simpler to produce, and introduced one of their own, Navy Rolls.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Tobaccopipes.com has a promotion also, so there's a marketing campaign to push these. They'd never been on my radar, but have been around awhile per Tobaccoreviews.com. Looks like some are/were made by STG also. Interesting if so, since STG make the old Dunhills under the Peterson brand.

QUESTION: You guys who have tins, who makes them, who is listed on the current labels?

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Tobaccopipes.com has a promotion also, so there's a marketing campaign to push these. They'd never been on my radar, but have been around awhile per Tobaccoreviews.com. Looks like some are/were made by STG also. Interesting if so, since STG make the old Dunhills under the Peterson brand.

QUESTION: You guys who have tins, who makes them, who is listed on the current labels?
Try this link. CHARATAN | Tor Imports - https://www.tor-imports.co.uk/charatanpipetobacco . It's owned by Tor Imports Ltd. And they are working with Kohlhase & Kopp.

Reactions: romaso

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
If they're yet another slew of Dunhill matches then I have to ask: why? Peterson is the same exact stuff that STG was making before. McConnell's already has matches for the entire Dunhill catalogue, quality and horrible branding not-withstanding. Sutliff has good or better matches for most of the big ones. What are these bringing to the table?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There was a shop in Texas that had a match. I couldn't get Nightcap, and was desperate enough to get some. Was much better than Nightcap.