PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I finally got around to opening the tin of this I had lurking in the darkness of my tobacco cupboard and being a long time fan of Dunhill Navy Rolls I didn't expect much from it. However, I found myself really pleasantly surprised. It's delicious. It's no replacement for the Dunhill and now that Peterson have that particular favourite it doesn't need to be and it isn't much like that blend at all but what I did find was a beautifully consistent and sweet Virginia smoke. It's one of those blends that has worked and been delicious in every pipe I have put it in. I have gotten through the tin in a week and that rarely happens as I tend to have a few tins open at a time. Really morish stuff. Naturally, I ordered more and I think this will now be the tobacco I break new pipes in with.

Who else has had a go of this stuff and what did you think of it?

Jun 9, 2018
England
I finally got around to opening the tin of this I had lurking in the darkness of my tobacco cupboard and being a long time fan of Dunhill Navy Rolls I didn't expect much from it. However, I found myself really pleasantly surprised. It's delicious. It's no replacement for the Dunhill and now that Peterson have that particular favourite it doesn't need to be and it isn't much like that blend at all but what I did find was a beautifully consistent and sweet Virginia smoke. It's one of those blends that has worked and been delicious in every pipe I have put it in. I have gotten through the tin in a week and that rarely happens as I tend to have a few tins open at a time. Really morish stuff. Naturally, I ordered more and I think this will now be the tobacco I break new pipes in with.

Who else has had a go of this stuff and what did you think of it?

I tried a tin when they first came on the market. I enjoyed them but they didn't taste anything like DNR to me. I found them more akin to Davidoff Flake Medallions. A nice tobacco though??.

Reactions: dcon
Jun 9, 2018
England
I have never been able to get those in the UK. Where did you find them, if I may ask?

I bought a tin about 4 years ago when I was new to the pipe smoking game. You're right though, they were discontinued a couple of years ago.
I've still got about half the tin jarred up as I opened them at my mum's and I only get up there at Christmas so they're aging nicely?. From what I could tell they were very similar to the Charatan Rolls.
If you're determined to try the Davidoff Flake Medallions then you can still buy them from the US retailers, but expect to get hit with a Customs & Excise bill. Honestly I wouldn't bother as the Charatan are quite similar.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I bought a tin about 4 years ago when I was new to the pipe smoking game. You're right though, they were discontinued a couple of years ago.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's frustrating when this kind of thing happens. Disappearing blends and blends that either take years to get here or never do. I'm still waiting for HH Burley Flake to turn up on these shores. If it ever does.

If you're determined to try the Davidoff Flake Medallions then you can still buy them from the US retailers, but expect to get hit with a Customs & Excise bill. Honestly I wouldn't bother as the Charatan are quite similar.

Yeah, that won't be happening. I'm not that keen to try it. ;) Besides, If I was ordering from the states it would be to get some of the more interesting American blends. I have been close to making an American order many times over the years but with the UK government sense of entitlement with regard to helping themselves to pipe smokers cash I have never bothered.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Can you get PS Luxury Bullseye Flake over there?
Jar it for a year or so and it should be pretty close to both the Charatan's and Davidoff.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on the HH Burley Flake turning up anytime soon if I were you. I bought a tin from the US last year but I had to pay customs & excise duty on it?.
If you're looking for a decent alternative then Solani Aged Burley Flake is top notch.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on the HH Burley Flake turning up anytime soon if I were you. I bought a tin from the US last year but I had to pay customs & excise duty on it?.
If you're looking for a decent alternative then Solani Aged Burley Flake is top notch.

Aged Burley Flake is the reason I wanted to try HH Burley Flake ;)

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Status
Not open for further replies.