Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Dunhill

Votes: 23 53.5%

• Total voters

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
I feel like most folks either prefer one or the other. Are you team Charatan or team Dunhill? Why?

I have a decent collection of both, but I find myself reaching for Charatans more often. They seem to smoke cooler and fit in the hand a little better.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some days I'm on team Ferndown, and other days I'm on team Ser Jacopo, for up-market. Some days I'm on team Dr. Grabow, and others on team Kaywoodie, for classic U.S. factory pipes. I don't know those other brands you mention.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Both Charatan and Dunhill made great pipes. My late father-in-law was a serious Dunhill collector, with over 900 specimen from all eras, very rare pieces, all kept in fitted drawers. At the time I smoked primarily Dunhill pipes.

I got curious about Charatan and bought a few. My father-in-law got curious and borrowed them off me. I didn't get them back until after he passed, he loved them too much to give them back.

But both of these went away when I tried my first Barling. This was a pipe that delivered more flavor from the blends I was smoking, than any Dunhill I had and the bit was more comfortable that my Charatans.

A couple of top tier Dunhill dealers I knew, who smoked Barlings for their personal use, quite independently put it to me this way, Dunhill focused on passable wood with superb stemwork, Charatan focused on superb wood with passable stemwork, and Barling focused of superb everything. With more than a century of combined experience between them, who was I to argue?

So I'd have to go with the winning team, Team Barling.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Both Charatan and Dunhill made great pipes. My late father-in-law was a serious Dunhill collector, with over 900 specimen from all eras, very rare pieces, all kept in fitted drawers. At the time I smoked primarily Dunhill pipes.

I got curious about Charatan and bought a few. My father-in-law got curious and borrowed them off me. I didn't get them back until after he passed, he loved them too much to give them back.

But both of these went away when I tried my first Barling. This was a pipe that delivered more flavor from the blends I was smoking, than any Dunhill I had and the bit was more comfortable that my Charatans.

A couple of top tier Dunhill dealers I knew, who smoked Barlings for their personal use, quite independently put it to me this way, Dunhill focused on passable wood with superb stemwork, Charatan focused on superb wood with passable stemwork, and Barling focused of superb everything. With more than a century of combined experience between them, who was I to argue?

So I'd have to go with the winning team, Team Barling.
Sadly I only have a few of Barling's pipes. I always carry one with me in my travel bag though. Great little tasting pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All the Barlings I see are post transition, which may not be so good ?? I think you have to ante up largely for the older pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned Dunhill, Charatan, Pre Transitionn Barlings,Ferndown and AAA Willmer Straight Grains over the years. I am no expert and don't claim to be just a guy who collected some pipes. For my tastes the Barlings had the best stems and they smoked the best. As far as the best wood, no one beat Willmer., but their stems sucked and their consistency wasn't great. Of all the British pipes I have owned over the last 20 plus years, I have only one left and I won't be selling it. It is a 1966 LB Billiard. The blast is nothing special but the shape to my eye is a great shape.

If I ever run a cross a 1957 or 1956 Dunhill I will buy them if I like them. I have passed on plenty over the years.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Dunhill focused on passable wood with superb stemwork, Charatan focused on superb wood with passable stemwork,
There is truth here based on my personal experience. Charaton’s atrocious double-comfort bits and Dunhills with nice grain are nearly cliches.
Still…
I love the look of the Charatan Supremes that I have, they are beautiful, alluring and they promise much, but I prefer the daily smoking characteristics of the early Dunhill Shells, which promise less and deliver more.

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Reuben-era Charatans and Dunhills generally.

I like pipes with "classic" profiles and have no love for some of the later "Lane" era Charatans - those overgrown, misshapened monstrosities with the weird, stepped "double-comfort" stems.

Mind you, Dunhill has issued some clunkers in their time. And I dislike their freehand Danish pipes.

Just means that there is one less person scrabbling to score those "gems" on EBay :)

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Dunhill for me - the stemwork. I like my vulcanite stems to be a little "clicky". The Charatan stems are soft, and I just can't unseen those DC stems (my lone Charatan is not a DC stem). I just smoked my '61 Dunhill this evening, my birthyear pipe, on my birthday, a great smoke
Al,
A Very Happy Birthday and wishing you Many Enjoyable Smokes
Best Regards
Ray

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
I'll tell you if I ever pop for either one of them! But I have a Mounbatten and a Hardcastle, so a Charatan second and a tangentially pre-1967 Dunhill owned pipe (but not exactly a second). Both smoke...equally excellent.