PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse,

Remember I posted the wonderful 1903 Barling bulldog, sold by Peter B. Harris ?

The draw is immensely wide open ( have not measured it yet, could be 5-6 mm ) , but I cannot imagine the pipe to be drilled after, if you take my meaning.
The drilling is spot on. What is your opnion, is this an older Barling issue ?

View attachment 70400
I have several Barlings with extraordinarily open draws, one in particular from 1906, a bent billiard, with what was estimated to be a 6-7 mm draw. The carver who gave me that estimate, who is a very well known brilliant carver, was of the opinion that it must have been opened up because he couldn't believe that any carver of the period would have drilled that wide an airway. Problem that that argument is that is that the airway lines up correctly with the bottom of the chamber, and that the airway through the stem is also very open, the widest airway of any of my pipes. I can easily push a pair of fluffies, side by side, through that airway. Every part of that pipe is over scale, massive mortise, massive tenon, thick shank, all supporting a massive airway. Damned thing smokes like a dream.

Like yours, it's a French carved Barling, which means it's very well carved.
Barling draws are open, maybe not as open as some modern artisan pipes, but quite open.

There are always going to be exceptions. I have a small bent from 1921 that has a tighter draft and that's likely because the small scale, narrow curving shank required a smaller airway to navigate the curve while leaving enough surrounding wood. Small tolerances, small airway.

Overall, Barling airflow is quite open. But with the exception of a very few very early, possibly French made, pipes, nothing with that kind of 6-7 mm airway.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Charatan really annoy me - & it's not just the ridiculous stampings.

I have three (an authentic, a special, & an imperial(!)) & they all have good open draws.

It's the stems I hate. I barely smoke the two DCs because the other has one of the best drilled & most comfortable stems I own:
View attachment 70417

It's one of the last pipes I'd let go of. I just wish DC wasn't the standard for most of them.
Have new stems made, if it is the bowls you really like. Reasonably cheap solution. Keep the original stems in case you decide to sell the pipes at a later date.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Have new stems made, if it is the bowls you really like. Reasonably cheap solution. Keep the original stems in case you decide to sell the pipes at a later date.
That's a good thought, thanks! I think I'll probably just end up letting them go though.

But that'll be in a little while - they need to repay me on the vast quantities of elbow grease I put into getting them black again!

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I have three (an authentic, a special, & an imperial(!)) & they all have good open draws.
I just picked up a Charatan Imperial, and it smokes great. I never heard of an "Imperial" though. It has the dark stain that makers use to hide mediocre grain, but I thought the Belvedere was the lowest grade. (Pipedia didn't help me, in this case.) I'm more interested in the era of production than anything else. Anyone know of its position in the hierarchy?

By the way, I never cared for the Double-Comfort bit until I got this one. It's very comfortable.

Charatan Imperial.jpg

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
This a wonderful pipe and the DC stem ( I otherwise think of as unattractive) is very becoming.
I take it this is the Emperial ?
Would you care to post a picture of the stampings ?
No, I don't care. I'll assume the seller doesn't care either. They're his photos. Too much work to do closeups. Draw on the pipe is perfect, by the way. Think it's from the '80s, maybe. I have another, but it's a "Perfection," something easily identified--or at least as easily as typical Charatans go.

ch2.jpg
ch3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Papamique
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
No, I don't care. I'll assume the seller doesn't care either. They're his photos. Too much work to do closeups. Draw on the pipe is perfect, by the way. Think it's from the '80s, maybe. I have another, but it's a "Perfection," something easily identified--or at least as easily as typical Charatans go.

View attachment 201943
View attachment 201944
Thank you for sharing, pics. are perfect !
No Imperials in my Charatan box, but two unsmoked Perfections with pristine box and original UK price tag.
Very similar to your Imperial. I suspect them to be from the eighties.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
I just picked up a Charatan Imperial, and it smokes great.
If that's from BRB, it's the same pipe - & I'm very glad it found a happy home. I didn't smoke it often enough & was basically hanging on to it for the stamping.

For the little it's probably worth, having done my best to research it, my guess it that it's a transition era pipe -there seems to have been a brief war of the stamps period before Dunhill gained complete control.