PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
They seem to have a lot of the same smoking characteristics. Definitely not a open draw. I smoke a good amount of different Comoys. Bought a Charatan 4148 DC pot to add to the rotation. The Charatan is definitely the tightest draw I have ever had. I really like it. It’s worlds away from my Sasieni, that’s wide open.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I find the two stem materials and feel to be vastly different. Charatans are soft and rubbery, Comoy's are clicky harder (to my liking). I find the draw on Sasieni's and Comoy's to be pretty similar. Now Sasieni's of the patent era with screw-in stingers that have been removed, are WIDE open, too much for my taste.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
The weight is good I guess, I easily clenched it. As far as the stems I only smoked 2 bowls out of the Charatan. My experience was good. Unlike Al I don’t see a major difference with the feel of the stem. But like I said it’s still new to me. Most of my Comoys have a slight tight draw. All my Sasieni are all wide open. My moorgate is still my favorite. I was really only comparing the draw of Comoys and Charatan, they are both are not wide open.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I find the draw on most of the vintage Brits to be fairly tight (to my preference). Ones with removed stingers, that's not the case.
I had a hard time adapting to my first Castello, which was so open vs Dunhill, Comoy's, Sasieni & GBD.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Here’s mine. It’s an xxxx’d out 461DC. I grabbed it as it resembled my Orlik, the first pipe I purchased and one of my best smokers still. Weight wise they are pretty similar, easy to clench. The draw on the charatan is heaps more restricted than the orlik, and the stem material is way softer too. Things I hadn’t bothered to think about until now.

CF57BF7F-736D-4D94-A230-735AF7F13D67.jpegCB2A37C5-CE9D-4ED5-8993-3F8608BEC847.jpeg835ABBFD-6ADE-4C42-9164-F1F321E6071E.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I find the draw on most of the vintage Brits to be fairly tight (to my preference). Ones with removed stingers, that's not the case.
I had a hard time adapting to my first Castello, which was so open vs Dunhill, Comoy's, Sasieni & GBD.
I prefer it open, which I’ve found to be the case with the Loewe and BBB I’m looking after. Unless that is more to do with being pre-20s, push tenons and having orific buttons?

Reactions: SBC and ChuckMijo

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
It’s nice to have different pipes with different draws, a least for me. At work it’s a cob, and Barlings, relaxing watching TV, it’s a Comoy, playing cards and drinks, It’s my Sasienis if that makes sense.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Here’s mine. It’s an xxxx’d out 461DC. I grabbed it as it resembled my Orlik, the first pipe I purchased and one of my best smokers still. Weight wise they are pretty similar, easy to clench. The draw on the charatan is heaps more restricted than the orlik, and the stem material is way softer too. Things I hadn’t bothered to think about until now.

View attachment 62728View attachment 62729View attachment 62730
Nicely done!!!

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
It’s probably a
Just paper towels and codger grease so far. Need to do the stem one of these evenings. Hey, any idea what the code on the stem is about?
It’s a Reg number. It’s basically a patent for the DC stem. Mine has one as well, actually the same as yours. I’m not 100% but I think it’s from 61 to 65. I could be wrong.

Reactions: OzPiper and Ahi Ka

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013

View attachment 62728View attachment 62729View attachment 62730
My first Charatan was an xxx'ed out the same shape, but about an 1/8-1/4 bent version.

Both are great brands, though I do prefer Comoy. I prefer their shaping, and like Al mentioned, Charatan has softer mouthpieces that (in my experience) will completely oxidize if you speak to them roughly, and Comoy is crisper. Still, if you keep them up, Charatans are excellent smokers and the DC bit is very comfortable.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
They seem to have a lot of the same smoking characteristics. Definitely not a open draw. I smoke a good amount of different Comoys. Bought a Charatan 4148 DC pot to add to the rotation. The Charatan is definitely the tightest draw I have ever had. I really like it. It’s worlds away from my Sasieni, that’s wide open.
I find the tight draw surprising. According to Ken Barnes, who trained at Charatan, they used a 4mm bore for the straights and a 4.7 mm bore for the bents. That shouldn't result in a tight draw.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I find the tight draw surprising. According to Ken Barnes, who trained at Charatan, they used a 4mm bore for the straights and a 4.7 mm bore for the bents. That shouldn't result in a tight draw.
Idk it’s definitely tight or a least my pipe is. It’s my first Charatan I ever smoked so nothing to compare to.I really like it so far. I wasn’t sure about the double Comfort stem, as I like a taper but it’s good and comfortable.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Aug 1, 2012
I suspect it is the stem itself rather than the bore in the stummel that causes the draw to be a bit tight. I had another straight Charatan that I opened up the stem a bit and it made a huge difference in the draw.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Jesse,

Remember I posted the wonderful 1903 Barling bulldog, sold by Peter B. Harris ?

The draw is immensely wide open ( have not measured it yet, could be 5-6 mm ) , but I cannot imagine the pipe to be drilled after, if you take my meaning.
The drilling is spot on. What is your opnion, is this an older Barling issue ?

Barling 1903 silver banded bulldog.jpg

Last edited:

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Charatan really annoy me - & it's not just the ridiculous stampings.

I have three (an authentic, a special, & an imperial(!)) & they all have good open draws.

It's the stems I hate. I barely smoke the two DCs because the other has one of the best drilled & most comfortable stems I own:
IMG_20210313_161449.jpg

It's one of the last pipes I'd let go of. I just wish DC wasn't the standard for most of them.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have 8 or so Charatans and I don't find them to have a tight draw. I also have about 10 Comoys that I do think are a little tight. If I had to choose, give me Charatan's stem even if it turns brown at the drop of a hat. I clench and it feels much better in my teeth. The only down size to Charatans to me is most of them have a slightly larger bowl than I prefer.