PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
It was mentioned in another thread that this forum doesn’t see enough Charatans. So, I thought I’d post this recently completed restoration to do my part to address that. The pipe was in solid condition to start with. It really only needed a good cleaning and a bit of attention to refine the details.
Before:
JLVAXo6.jpg

iYbJi6F.jpg

Du1ni9b.jpg

cVlNhw3.jpg

1Bonr1j.jpg

tOf10Jx.jpg

c8dAgbt.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
After:
VXS4pfS.jpg

TmoGKCB.jpg

J2QlSD1.jpg

B3rXIiB.jpg

dpNtu0b.jpg

SvwyiQE.jpg

9lmFtX4.jpg

My apologies for the poor shots of the stamping in the “after” photos. The camera’s zoom function is completely useless for macro shots. So, I have to get in physically close which often creates a shadow across the details. I’m working on a lighting setup to address this in the future.
Also, in the closeup shot of the tenon you’ll notice some roughness in the surface of the step at the end. It looks like it has been turned with a very dull tool. I debated with myself about whether I should smooth that out or not but, in the end, I decided to leave it as an accurate representation of what was going on in the Charatan factory on that day since it doesn’t noticeably affect the smoking experience.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Very, very, nice job! It's a real beauty. Enjoy! :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, so fab!
How did you clean up that rim? Nice job all over, but the rim is most interesting - not seen that many that crudded up.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
How did you clean up that rim? Nice job all over, but the rim is most interesting - not seen that many that crudded up.

I've worked with far worse than this one, jpmcwjr. A soft cloth, a drop of moisture, some elbow grease, and a little patience is all that's usually required to clean them up.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Shape 58, the NEWMARKET. 1951 catalog image courtesy of Ken Barnes. Lovely cross grain cut on the above example!
newmarket.jpg

:)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very nice! That one had a lot of dings and marks on the briar, that must have taken some time. Good job on the CP as well.
Can you share what you use to re-highlight the painted logo? I have a Charatan up next on the bench (also a Special), my first with that brand in a long time. I've previously used acrylic white paint, but with limited results.
That is a great detail on the tenon, I'll have to check mine. It's been so long, I can't recall if that is a standard treatment.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On a photography note, your pix are always fantastic, as good as your work!
I finally broke down and bought a light box, it hasn't arrived yet, figured what do I have to lose for $7 shipped...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Room-Photo-Studio-9-Photography-LED-Lighting-Tent-Backdrop-Cube-Mini-Box/381827698595?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I've been using a 10 year old point & shoot (which don't seem to exist any longer, camera phones have rendered them obsolete). M wife bought a, gulp, $600 Nikon with manual settings (step below a DSLR, which she has). I tried to use it for pipes and didn't do well. I'm getting some advice from Woodsroad and hope to get better results. I shoot nomenclature using my camera phone, it zooms in quite well, but you do get the shadow.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Can you share what you use to re-highlight the painted logo? I have a Charatan up next on the bench (also a Special), my first with that brand in a long time. I've previously used acrylic white paint, but with limited results.

Al, for shallow logos with narrow lines like this one I use thinned enamel with an adhesion promoter. It has the best combination of flow and durablity of anything else I've tried. The downside is that it needs a couple of days to cure before you can work with it properly. I've used acrylic in the past and, like you, I was underwhelmed. It tends to lift and flake at the edges and doesn't adhere very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.