PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@sablebrush52 when was Astley’s changed for the worse? About 2016, correct?

Also, can you confirm that HU Directors Cut is back to its former glory, back to the old recipe?

I remember you commenting specifically on those two blends, so I wanted to ask.
That sounds about right. People started complaining about Astley's 44 about that time.

With regards to Director's Cut, my understanding is that Hans spoke with K&K about their unauthorized switcheroo and that it has been changed back to what it was, but I can't personally verfy that as I haven't bought any recently, and have no plans to. I'm sitting on a kilo of the "K&K" version and I'm hoping that a few years will mellow it down to being something worth smoking. I also have the tins I bought in 2016, so I'm good.

Reactions: Razorback
@sablebrush52 when was Astley’s changed for the worse? About 2016, correct?

Also, can you confirm that HU Directors Cut is back to its former glory, back to the old recipe?

I remember you commenting specifically on those two blends, so I wanted to ask.
2016 or 17. I’d call Astleys 44 a heavily cased or lightly topped licorice aromatic now.

Reactions: Razorback

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I was just wondering, so many people now have acclimated to these bad recipes. I wonder if magically they brought back all of the originals for these, if people would respond well or revolt to the change?
Like if Budweiser actually put good beer in the cans, would their base get pissed off? It’d make for an interesting story. “I WANT MY SWILL BACK!!”
Interesting question.

Can you recall any case where a blend got changed and people said “this current production is better than the old”?

Hell, there are people who railed on the Peterson version of the Dunhill blends not long ago. Never mind that the only thing that changed was the label...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are good reasons for changes in the flavor of a blend relating to sourcing, where the tobaccos are sourced, in which year, and how the seasons are there, and how the leaf has been cured and aged. However, a complete change of recipe is another matter, and that, I think, requires a different name for the blend. The more arbitrary the recipes of a named blend, the less meaning it has. You can fool the customer once, maybe twice, but after that, they go looking for a different blend in a different brand.

Reactions: SBC

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Interesting question.

Can you recall any case where a blend got changed and people said “this current production is better than the old”?
I can. The STG version of Granger is superior to when Pinkerton had it.

As to what Cosmic said, since it’s the current (present) version of this blend that I enjoy, — I have a cellar-full of it.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore