PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I worked in the meat dept at Publix for awhile. I've read about pre ground beef and various ratios and how they're accomplished.

Fat, typically equals flavor. Whether or not you're getting ground: chuck, round, sirloin, or lean is largely determined by fat content.

We had a regular customer who would get his London Broil ground to eat raw.

Others would buy boneless chuck roasts and either grind themselves or have the store grind it.

Red meat is not something I eat regularly, but I would prefer to grind a chuck roast with good amount of fat in it.

We also gave away trimmed fat for people to add to venison.

With whole 'cuts' or roasts and steaks, the likelihood of fecal contamination is reduced.

Pre-ground at a production facility has more potential for contamination.

How can you get any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With whole 'cuts' or roasts and steaks, the likelihood of fecal contamination is reduced.
But then all fast food would lose its unique character. If you can't get some good old fashioned fecal matter, rodent parts and a good helping of ground insect, whats the point of eating from the drive through?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Since the thread is about open minds and new ideas.....may I suggest taking the next step, or rather, a giant leap toward TOFU?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sablebrush, the whole reason to go through a drive through is to get a straw and start a straw cellar for the upcoming strawpocolypse.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Fecal flavor! I'm sure that's the reason so many health laws allow a certain percentage of mouse droppings and such in bags of flour. How did they test to find the maximums? That is the question. At what point do rat droppings, etc. become too much? Two per pound? Fifty per pound? More droppings than flour?
It a stew can be served on a plate, it's not stew ... it's meat and gravy!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rodent droppings: Done by weight, not number due to the variation in size/weight of each rodent turd. Is that not comforting?
And: 75/25 is where it's at. Starcat, flat.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to be all about 80/20 chuck until I found these at my local Publix. I have been buying these exclusively for years now.

http://www.steakhouseelite.com/kobe-crafted-beef.html
These are hands down the best burgers I have ever bought and it is by a mile. Cook these babies medium rare and don't go loading any kind of spices on them. Their flavor is incredibly rich and the texture is like butter.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
StarCat v Haja in a cage fight.......Who would win??
The audience.
Okay, WTH is Starcat???
That is a question for the ages. Starcat is the stuff that dreams are made on.
But to be a bit more prosaic, starcat was a member here who would occasionally post somewhat metaphysical musings on pipes and tobaccos often employing hyperbolic language. This eventually led to an epic outpouring of stream of consciousness, silly, and hilarious posts that ran on unabated for about a week and reached over 800 postings before the horrified, and possibly terrified, PTB ended it and removed it.
It needs to be understood in context.
About a month before, this august forum had suffered a massive explosion as a result of a political discussion, one so toxic that all political discussion was officially banned here. A number of members were sent out the airlock, including the most respected member of the forum at that time, and a number of others quit. There was pretty widespread carnage. The Mods were attacked by the mob. If I remember correctly it happened over the Thanksgiving weekend in 2013. I was gone on a trip at the time and returned to find smoking craters where the forum once stood.
This resulted in the forum becoming a near ghost town for weeks. Nobody felt like posting. I suspect members were shocked by what had happened so quickly. About the most interesting posts revolved around various recipes. The place was pretty much on life support.
Then starcat posted one of it rants, this time about Peterson pipes. Well, I tried to engage in a rational way, and then decided screw it and just posted some silly hyperbolic metaphysical nonsense of my own. Then others started posting silly posts and the thing just took off like a rocket. It was an epic outpouring of humor and silliness, debates over hamburgers vs sandwiches, debates over the definition of chili, videos of Kate Upton's cha chas wobbling around in zero gravity, Bambi Meets Godzilla, etc, poems, debates over starcat's gender or planet of birth, etc, etc.
It was a massive outpouring of much needed silliness that also shocked some other members who really didn't grasp what was going on. But it did serve to get us out of the death spiral.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
You're a true storyteller Sable. Thanks for that. I have noticed when I've read 7-8 year old threads that almost none of the participants are still here.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for that. I have noticed when I've read 7-8 year old threads that almost none of the participants are still here.
People cycle in and out for any of a number of reasons. Relatively few get banned. Mostly it's that they move on to other things. Some fall off the twig. Some join pipe groups on other social media sites. And after a while, the ratio of new information to old just keeps declining so there's less of a reason to be involved. I suspect a lot of the former posters are still looking in. They're just not interested in posting. Doubtless one of these days I'll wander off into the desert as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.