PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
I never updated my post in Samuel Gawith Majorly Different :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/samuel-gawith-majorly-different.64836/ So i will do it here.

It's not only FVF or grousemoor that changed, st James flake is not even close to what it once was. I recently bought another tin of SJF and its the same story from that thread. It tastes better then the first but still very light/hayish compared to the old stuff. If nothing changes i will no longer buy from SG unless i see the content first.

Old stuff to the left and new tin on right. Unfortunaly neither tin had dating sticker.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I’ve had an old tin of FVF and it’s very dark. I chalked it up to aging but these posts and my experience make me doubt it. Newer FVF is very light in comparison. I have a lot in jars I’ll open after a while and see if it’s changed at all.

Just brainstorming and wildly speculating

1. All manufacturers age their tobacco for a very long time as a part of their process
  2. There is suddenly a huge upsurge in demand in British tobaccos and production cannot keep up
  3. SG has a new owner

Maybe they are no longer aging their tobacco as much as they used to, maybe they have used up all inventory of aged leaf and using fresh leaves and shorter aging before putting it to market?

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario

1. All manufacturers age their tobacco for a very long time as a part of their process
  2. There is suddenly a huge upsurge in demand in British tobaccos and production cannot keep up
  3. SG has a new owner
Maybe they are no longer aging their tobacco as much as they used to, maybe they have used up all inventory of aged leaf and using fresh leaves and shorter aging before putting it to market?
This is more than likely the case, considering we are dealing with Virginia in these cases. I'm going to agree with this post.

Reactions: cshubhra

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In around 2005 the perique and the topping was dropped from 3Nuns. By that time I'd smoked several tins of that version and I was very upset, as I found that version Mecca. I'd bought it from overseas and was given a return, but given the shipping and in the disappointment I came to the bitter conclusion that tobacco manufacturer\s reserve the right to change their blends willy-nilly, and certainly without notifying customers.

The Grousemoore recipe I think is very old and I'm surprised they'd change it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This is the source of misery to people like myself and Weezell who are mono-blend fanatics. They did this to Condor Plug when they moved production to Poland (*see Jim Inks review and comments regarding Condor Plug) when they killed the sauce and reduced its potency to that of a mouse fart. It doesn't surprise me that this is happening with the Lakelands as well but S&G blends have always been a little hit and miss even back in the mid 1980s.

Reactions: mingc

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019

3. SG has a new owner

SG did merge with gawith and hoggarth back in 2015, but most of the complaints i seen started beginning of 2018 so not sure how much impact the merge had.

Something else i have noticed is that non of my latest tins came "gawith wet" (borrowing StuffandThings moisture scale) but almost smoke ready. Dry time with the SJF i posted before is 15-20min vs 1.5-2hours for new and old respectively. Could it just be the lack of sauce/sugar water? Also, i dont think i have never seen plume on the new stuff either.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I do like RDH and have that on hand always.
However I did used to like Grousemoor but apparently not anymore.
not sure how oldgeezer can’t tell the difference. Many others seem to be able to tell.
you won’t convince me it’s not different and I won’t buy more.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
SG did merge with gawith and hoggarth back in 2015, but most of the complaints i seen started beginning of 2018 so not sure how much impact the merge had.

Something else i have noticed is that non of my latest tins came "gawith wet" (borrowing StuffandThings moisture scale) but almost smoke ready. Dry time with the SJF i posted before is 15-20min vs 1.5-2hours for new and old respectively. Could it just be the lack of sauce/sugar water? Also, i dont think i have never seen plume on the new stuff either.
This still may have been the source of a change. Chris Gawith has said in an interview that they have about 4 years of tobacco on hand at any time. It’s possible that near the time of the merger in 2015 that they decided to change some of the recipes. The change wouldn’t trickle down to the product being sold for 3-4 years leading to different product recently.

Reactions: BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
I do like RDH and have that on hand always.
However I did used to like Grousemoor but apparently not anymore.
not sure how oldgeezer can’t tell the difference. Many others seem to be able to tell.
you won’t convince me it’s not different and I won’t buy more.
As I previously said, Grousemoor is an occasional smoke.And I think I said “within tolerances.” As I likely didn’t say in this thread but have said in others, I smoke very dry tobacco. As in “ are you sure that doesn’t need rehydration? “ dry. I do tend to smoke SG and GH ropes and twists a little moister than that and put up with the extra BTU it keeps to get them going, but nothing else from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.