PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dmitri1516

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2022
Hi guys, I plan to change from Peterson Old Dublin to something else. Im thinking of either borkum riff, habanos, caps black or Peterson aran or Murray Erinmore mixture or Peterson Atlantic ? My taste is towards the English tobacco tbh. I like the smokiness of the tobacco. Please advise

Thanks

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
It is difficult to make a recommendation as taste is subjective and what one person likes and enjoys, another may not. If you feel you like the flavor profile of English blends, it may be wise to obtain a few different samples of various English style tobaccos and see if any of those appeal to you. Several of the tobaccos you listed do not contain any Latakia, hence they will not have the smoky flavor you desire.

Reactions: jiminy and JOHN72

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Hi guys, I plan to change from Peterson Old Dublin to something else. Im thinking of either borkum riff, habanos, caps black or Peterson aran or Murray Erinmore mixture or Peterson Atlantic ? My taste is towards the English tobacco tbh. I like the smokiness of the tobacco. Please advise

Thanks
Advice….

1) buy as many as you mention (and can afford)…. try each of them and enjoy the experience of exploring each to see which one(s) you especially enjoy.

2) Repeat #1 above…. with other pipe tobaccos that capture your attention… as time permits.

3) Repeat #2 until you are no longer curious about other blends because you have found your “go to” favorites.

4) Return to #2 anytime curiosity returns.

?

Truthfully…. no harm (except potentially to the wallet) in exploring.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit

Thanks
I'm kind of confused, You are smoking a latakia blend - Old Dublin - and say you like the smokiness of lat blends. You then list a number of aromatics, that don't have latakia, including two discontinued Peterson blends - Aran and Atlantic.
Old Dublin is a long time favorite of mine. I can not tell you how many tins I have smoked, over the years. For middle of the road latakia blends, I'd recommend that and Peterson (formerly Dunhill) Standard to anyone.
Try whatever you want, but note that none of the Borkum Riff blends have lat - they are rather goopy aros - nor does Erinmore. (Murray closed down years ago.) I'm not sure what "caps black: or "habanos" is.

Dmitri1516

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2022
I'm kind of confused, You are smoking a latakia blend - Old Dublin - and say you like the smokiness of lat blends. You then list a number of aromatics, that don't have latakia, including two discontinued Peterson blends - Aran and Atlantic.
Old Dublin is a long time favorite of mine. I can not tell you how many tins I have smoked, over the years. For middle of the road latakia blends, I'd recommend that and Peterson (formerly Dunhill) Standard to anyone.
Try whatever you want, but note that none of the Borkum Riff blends have lat - they are rather goopy aros - nor does Erinmore. (Murray closed down years ago.) I'm not sure what "caps black: or "habanos" is.
Which Peterson would you recommend? My country still sells Aran and Atlantic.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

PuffingWalrus

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Brattleboro VT

Thanks
I would recommend either Petersons (formerly dunhill although the blends are the same just with the peterson logo instead of dunhills) My Mixture 965, Standard mixture, or exploring Cornell & Deihl's "Sea Scoundrel" line. Although for me the Peterson ones are for sure mu go to blends for english.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Which Peterson would you recommend? My country still sells Aran and Atlantic.
If you can get Wild Atlantic, give it a whirl. Try Peterson Standard if it is available. Lots of folks swear by 965 and Nightcap - both former Dunhill, now Peterson. I don't care for either of them.
Don't feel you have to smoke only one blend, either,
Can't recommend further since I don't know what's available. I would avoid Borkum Riff at all costs. puffy

• Love

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
Anyone so confused needs to board the Black Frigate and get things sorted out!

Seriously, I love Old Dublin and will never leave it. With so many choices now, there is no reason to leave anything behind unless you have simply decided you don't like it. I also like Peterson Standard Mixture, C&D Rajah's Court, Blackhouse, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, Westminster, Plum Pudding...and of course...Black Frikin Frigate. I do like Mac Baren Vanilla now and then and am trying out Virginia-based things for a change of pace from English/Balkan.