Champagne/ Deluxe, Algerian Briar/French.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
Somewhere on this forum ,I read a post from a man who had a collection of pipes including Dunhills and other famous makes. At the end of his posts he mentioned his favorite smoking pipe was an inexpensive French, no name pipe that was made of Algerian briar for $20 on eBay.
So looking for the first new pipe for myself in a very long time I decided to look for one on ebay.And here it is ....IMG_E2348.jpgIMG_E2353.jpgIMG_2349.jpgHere it is with the Upshall , the only other pipe I have.IMG_2355.jpgIt smokes very well , I don't know anything more about, perhaps some of you can tell me..They are very different in every way and I think I find the Upshall a finer experience , but not by much at all . it was also $19. It might be fun to try an old Danish pipe next or another French pipe which seems to me To be, a bit of A bargain.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Somewhere on this forum ,I read a post from a man who had a collection of pipes including Dunhills and other famous makes. At the end of his posts he mentioned his favorite smoking pipe was an inexpensive French, no name pipe that was made of Algerian briar for $20 on eBay.
So looking for the first new pipe for myself in a very long time I decided to look for one on ebay.And here it is ....View attachment 60604View attachment 60605View attachment 60607Here it is with the Upshall , the only other pipe I have.View attachment 60608It smokes very well , I don't know anything more about, perhaps some of you can tell me..They are very different in every way and I think I find the Upshall a finer experience , but not by much at all . it was also $19. It might be fun to try an old Danish pipe next or another French pipe which seems to me To be, a bit of A bargain.
Great looking pipe.?

Yup, Algerian Briar is where it’s at. Gives a cool smoke.
Any well drilled pipe will, that's entirely up to the smoker.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
You will always hear that a good smoke is up to the person, but a bad pipe doesn't make it easy.

That looks like a decent pipe and you can't go wrong with the price.
I used to drive my mother's Nissan Micra, like I was driving a Fiat or even an Alfa Romeo . She just wouldn't respond, it was hopeless. Better get a good pipe.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
A have a few French made Algerian no names. Some are just run of the mill work pipes, two of them are the coolest, easiest smoking pipes I own.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Whats your experience with Algerian briar, please would like to know more
My main experience is with Pre-Transition Barlings. They used the finest Algerian Briar available to them, aged for at least 50 years, and they are known for having cool smoking qualities. Some of the best pipes made, and perhaps the best pipes from that era.

My other experience is with a Wally Frank Algerian Briar Pot. They can be found for very good prices. That also gives a cool smoke and brings out the flavors in the tobacco really well, just like the Pre-Transition Barlings.

Some other Algerian Briar pipes you can find for good prices:

Edward’s Pipes
Loewe Centurions
Ehrlich Algerian Briar (You need to find the ones marked “Algerian Briar”)

Reactions: ABel7son

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
There's good briar coming out of a handful of countries.
If you read the descriptions of the pipe manufacturers, everyone uses only the best briar. I think Algerian briar, which is considered the finest, was mainly used in France because the French had their own harvest fields there. After the Algerian war (1962) and the independence of Algeria, however, it was over. As far as I know, briar was no longer allowed to be exported. Then Morocco became the main supplier for French pipes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
could you post a picture of though two ?
When I can unearth them I will (great upheaval in The Lair). The two I mentioned are Colossal brand made in France, as opposed to the Italian Colossal that you come across more frequently. I've not found any info about Colossal, but there are some additional lines associated like Colossal Custom Made or just Custom Made. My two favorites came from a group of pipes being sold from an elderly ladies estate in the early 2000s. The ladies husband owned a tobacconist in the '50's when he passed, and she packed the entire shop into their basement and it stayed there until her passing, when it was sold by their heirs.

Reactions: ABel7son

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
If you read the descriptions of the pipe manufacturers, everyone uses only the best briar. I think Algerian briar, which is considered the finest, was mainly used in France because the French had their own harvest fields there. After the Algerian war (1962) and the independence of Algeria, however, it was over. As far as I know, briar was no longer allowed to be exported. Then Morocco became the main supplier for French pipes.
Well this having, Algerian briar written on the bottom, how may I date it? Do you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.