PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I own two Stihl Chainsaws. I don't know about "joy" using them, but as a tool they are invaluable. When I lived up in the mountains off the grid, they kept me from freezing to death, but I did have to have carpal tunnel surgery due to using the chainsaws frequently. Keep a sharp chain and keep the air filter clean and they run like a champ.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
My Stihl came after owning three Huskys. All were very good chainsaws.
The first was so good it got stolen. Then the second (replacement) got stolen. The third was a huge XP with a 32" bar which I picked up used since I figured it would probably get stolen as well.
That thing (actually all chainsaws, but especially that one) scared the daylights out of me! I ended up trading it for an edger.
I still needed chainsaw and the owner of the outdoor power equipment shop sold me on the Stihl MS250. After ten years it's never given me a lick of trouble and I sharpen the chain regularly and keep a spare chain at the ready. I keep her under lock and key.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Felling trees can be dangerous but, the chainsaw saw? With care, the right clothes,chainsaw resistant overalls, helmet, correct footwear, mask and safety glasses, respect for and knowledge of how to correctly approach the job at hand, the saw isn't particularly dangerous.

Establishing and cleaning up escape routes. Boring the tree to find if it's solid or diseased is required in some instances. Did the tree spiral as it grew? It might just explode, twisting and spinning, the cut is started.The helmet is for falling objects you didn't see on inspection. Don't forget to use your ears, listen to and pay a bit of attention to the tree as you cut or drive a wedge. Having a watching assistant or, at least a listener close by is good safety practice. Cell phone always handy if no assistant, maybe you'll be able to use it if required.

Stab cuts, rip sawing, and such need practice but a sharp saw, correctly used isn't particularly dangerous. Weekenders with saws? Well, yes there will be an increased danger. Usually only one avoidable accident and the chainsaw is history though. Most people are reluctant to suffer a second accident. Even the most ignorant/lazy usually learn the first time the loop takes a bite of thigh or jumps nearly to their face when applied incorrectly to a tree/limb/body. Chainsaws are hard taskmasters.

Chainsaw manufacturers have some great videos all neophytes or returning drivers should review.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good advice in many posts. I used to love cutting my own firewood, even splitting and stacking a few cords. It was a Stihl, 20" or so bar. Field sharpener and bench sharpener for better angle control. I felt every minutes spent sharpening saved a couple minutes of sawing.

That was 40 years ago. Now have a small battery one I am loathe to use.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have two chainsaws purchased in anticipation of hurricane's rearranging trees in the yard. Didn't happen right away but it did happen, and when it did the commercial guys were busy clearing roads and power line. I don't use them much since we moved but one never knows. I derive no particular joy using them but I like the feeling of having them just in case. Nowadays it takes more time getting into the safety gear than it does the do the cutting.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
And don't forget the depth gauge. A lot of recreational users have no clue about the depth gauge.
First off: I appreciate everyone's awesome advice! It's funny that I seriously considered creating a post about help with chainsaws on a pipe smoker's forum, but didn't, only to find there are plenty of us here who do such things as hack trees to bits with power tools. It seems we are a bunch of jacks-of-all-trades 'round here.

Regarding @warren 's comments in particular: what exactly is meant by "depth gauge"? (Yep, I'm one of those recreational users with no clue about depth gauge.) Thanks!

Reactions: Hovannes

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
It's the "flat piece" in front of the cutting edge. It keeps the edge from "biting off more than the loop can chew" as it were. Properly set, with a sharp cutter, the loop works optimally, pulling the saw through the trunk, branch or whatever.

I apologize for the length of time in responding. I simply missed your question. Stihl and Husky both have good videos on their sites. A properly tuned saw should be almost effort free when using. If you are having to pressure the saw, stop and tune the loop.

Last edited:

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
I have a MS311 and MS170. I've had the 311 for about 3 or 4 years, the 170.....probably 14 years or so, and run a 290 a good bit. Stihl's are great, but a little finicky to start if not used regularly, but once you do as Stihl suggests, it'll always start.
I appreciate a good day of accomplishments when working, using a saw is no different. I come from a family of loggers, so I've heard all the horror stories and have close family members that were cut very badly, as well as being hit with limbs and trees that came dislodged. I maintain a healthy respect and fear of using one due to all the stories, but it's never deterred me from using them as intended. Like Warren said above, there are ample safety devices available to help keep you safe, always have an escape route, and pay close attention to what's happening.

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
I have a friend who owns an equipment rental shop and sells Stihl brand saws. I have coveted a Stihl for a long time but my Damn Husqvarna just won't die and I can't justify dropping the cash as long as I have a decent chainsaw. It has now become an obsession to see how much wood I can cut with the Husky. Its about 15 years old.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Concerning depth gauge's and sharpening...this pferd sharpener is great for sharpening both the tooth and the gauge all in one motion, by having a round and flat file set up inside it. Very easy to use. I have a different solution for my ripping chain because of the angle needed, but for my generic 'tree chopper upper' this has become my favourite way to sharpen.

Reactions: Hovannes
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I have a friend who owns an equipment rental shop and sells Stihl brand saws. I have coveted a Stihl for a long time but my Damn Husqvarna just won't die and I can't justify dropping the cash as long as I have a decent chainsaw. It has now become an obsession to see how much wood I can cut with the Husky. Its about 15 years old.
I gave my Husqvarna to my son in law and bought a Stihl. I liked the Husky better.

Reactions: Hovannes and Reggie

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
my house was built in a pine plantation , where they bulldozed spots for houses on acre or so lots , but left the rows and rows of trees .

I have 5 chainsaws, 2 stihls, a cheap one and two electric ones . I love using them , and cutting down trees . I might have chainsaw acquisition disorder , I want a 24” bar saw next

Reactions: Hovannes and Reggie

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have a Stihl MS290 and it has seen a lot of use, but I prefer to use it only when absolutely necessary. Chain saws are definitely dangerous. The Stihl has not been used in awhile and needs some maintenance. I have been deal hunting for a smaller electric chain saw to be used for small work such as limbs larger than the pruners can handle. I love the Stihl power when needed, but get tired of dealing with fuel mix, spark plugs, air filters, etc. and I rarely need the power and size of the Stihl.
This thread inspired me to overhaul the Stihl MS290: new air filter, plug, carburetor, gas line, gas filter, gas. Runs like a champ again. Just need to give the chain a once over with the file and then it will be time to do some tree trimming and cutting this weekend.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I ran chainsaws commercially as an arborist for about 15 years. I owned somewhere around 20-25 saws in all sizes and configurations

You couldn’t pay me enough to even shop for a saw. As a matter of fact this thread is making my hands vibrate and inflames my tendons.

I really never should have opened this damn thread. Curiosity killed this cat.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I have a MS311 and MS170. I've had the 311 for about 3 or 4 years, the 170.....probably 14 years or so, and run a 290 a good bit. Stihl's are great, but a little finicky to start if not used regularly, but once you do as Stihl suggests, it'll always start.
I've noticed that the type of two stroke oil makes a difference here. My wife bought me a Stihl leaf blower a few years back. If you bought Stihl oil you doubled your warranty. So in had a tank of that mixed up. But, being an Amsoil dealer, I decided to mix up a tank of Amsoil Saber instead. That was in my saw when I decided, you know it's been a few months I should try to start this thing (an MS362). I figured on tugging my arm off. I about dropped the saw when it ripped off full throttle on the first pull. Try different oils if you're really having trouble starting. It might help.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I ran chainsaws commercially as an arborist for about 15 years. I owned somewhere around 20-25 saws in all sizes and configurations
I recently had to engaged a firm to do what, at my age with disabilities, I can no longer do. Climbing is no longer an option. These guys showed up with a bucket truck, reached into the trees, topped what I wanted topped and were out of the neighborhood in an hour. At my best the job would have taken a couple of days. Ain't modern equipment wonderful. Well, at times, for sure!

liam85

Lurker
Jun 13, 2022
I am using COOCHEER 20" Chainsaw because this fantastic logging chainsaw gives you a comfortable grip. Its engine speed is around 8,600 rpm. The power of this super high-speed engine is above the level suitable for felling trees or wood products, and your information here, this chain saw has 550 ml of fuel, so you don’t need to refuel—it from time to time.