PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
img_0243-600x450.jpg

My first General post, after an intro in New Member. I must begin by thanking all for your recommendations and contributions this site, whether they match my experience or not. There is very useful stuff on this site.
I haven’t yet finished figuring out “what’s best for me,” but the process is all fun and here are some contemporary pipes and tobaccos that hold new curiosity after a 15 year hiatus.
To add to my old briars is a Chacom Volcano - I wanted to mix things up with something modern(?) and different. Another edge choice is a Strambach billiard. I have a traditional meerschaum that I like very much, but along with the advantages of meerschaum comes their weakness, a delicate material. As daily appliances, I am not good at protecting pipes so, while not meerschaum, “cultured” or otherwise, I am hoping that it has some or all of the good properties of meerschaum along with greater sturdiness. It’s a solid pipe.
To replace my old tobacco memories of Dunhill’s Light Flake and London Mixture, Royal Yacht, etc, I’m trying Pease’s Westminster (very good), Sextant (nice and different), and Union Square (warming to it), along with Escudo (nice), Doblone D’oro (light, nice), and Orlik Golden Slice (very good). Reading up on other similar Straight (or almost straight) Virginias, it looks like Capstan Blue and FVF are next on the list once the OGS gives out. This Scandinavian copy of English copies of Scandanavian Straight Virginias burns cooool to my delight and surprise.
Another new dimension are the 9mm filters in the Strambach and Volcano. So far, they seem to help with the hot Doblone D’oro (MacBaren for Savenelli) and Union Square. I’m trying to slow down, but I am a hardish puffer. They look to be a helpful prosthesis for my hot burners. (Why does tobacco make you use big words?). Also, FWIW, it looks like the Blitz filter that came with the Chacom is the same as the bulk Big Ben that I bought on Amazon.
Again, thanks to all for putting your thoughts on this site. They helped me get re-started.
Cheers,

- TD

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome version of a volcano for sure. I like French pipes. They do a good job and keep the prices moderate.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
It has a deep and fairly narrow bowl and is well suited for scan blends. The first lightly packed bowl last night was the sweet Escudo and it lasted over an hour. I may become a Danish-style smoker yet.
It's simple and a little different. "Orange Volcano" is Chacom's branding.
Cheers
volcano1-600x450.jpg

PS: tried to resize to 640x480 and got 600x450. Is it the aspect ratio or pixels I need to modify? thanks for the help.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
It smokes flakes really well - nothing else I own comes close. Narrowish, tall bore? I cleaned the others out, too.
Sedentary Sitter: It's too heavy to smoke without a hand holding it up. Difficult to do the dishes. Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.