PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I associate Cezanne most strongly with the quite large still life paintings with slightly cubist fruit, playing with the shape, the light, and perspective. I haunted the Chicago Art Institute as a teen, and those paintings really claimed the territory, although they had a lot of competition. They had some large paintings, and they chose not to put them too close together, which was their wealth of space and ample funding being expressed.

As a college freshman at U of I at Navy Pier (in those days) I had an English I assignment to discuss a Toulouse Lautrec painting I'd been looking at for several years of weekend visits. First, the instructor wasn't sure I'd written it, and when I explained how I came to be so conversant, she assigned me to advanced placement English the next semester, which I'd never attained in high school. I felt vindicated.

I don't remember the figurative paintings of Cezanne at all, so thank you for this! cosmic' is right; they need a different frame.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Very nice. Happy Birthday! What else did you do in Philly? I saw a Chagall exhibit at the museum there many moons ago.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad