PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Another Cesare Imperiale C in the workshop. This one's a little rougher than the last one I worked on:

20220919_170236932_iOS.jpg

20220919_170234974_iOS.jpg

After I good scrubbing, the absence of cake revealed a damaged rim. Since the rim was going to require extensive work, the entire stummel was sanded a 220-grit.

20220919_173519321_iOS.jpg

20220919_173532146_iOS.jpg

Note that the rim is convex. In order to remove the damage on the INSIDE of the rim, I had to remove all of the material down to below that spot. That meant flattening out the rim and then re-crowning it. The stummel has plenty of height, and that's fortunate because it required a lot of sanding. Returning the rim to its convex shape is laborious. A technique I use is to place a sheet of sandpaper over an upside-down aerosol can cap. That allows the sandpaper sheet to sag in the center so it comes into contact with the outside rim edge. The inside edge is smoothed by inserting my sandpaper-covered finger into the bowl. It's tedious work. I filled the gash with sanding dust (oh, there was plenty!) and thin viscosity Superglue. Of course the glue gets all over the place and it, too, had to be sanded away.

20220919_180151931_iOS.jpg

Finally the stummel gets dry sanded to 800-grit and then wet sanded--with Everclear--to 1500. I then buffed the stummel to remove any lasting dust. Red leather dye was then applied and any excess was wiped off. I buffed the stummel again and then switched to Tripoli Compound. Normally I would then go to White Diamond compound, but I've run out of the yellow polishing wheels that hold up so well with the buffing compounds. They're the FPPO brand I get from Amazon. I mention this because I have purchased other brands that look the same but aren't tough enough for the task. I then applied the Carnauba wax (white polishing wheel). The stem received a little sanding, then fine sanding (Everclear and 1500-grit) followed by Tripoli Compound.

20220919_190741185_iOS.jpg

The gash is filled, but I couldn't make it disappear. I could probably have done a better job overall, but at some point you have to stop applying paint to the canvas. Here is the pipe with its mate:

20220919_190923042_iOS.jpg

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Curious on the everclear reason. I haven't heard of that addition before.
I picked up some finishing techniques working on guitars. Wet sanding can really aid in getting that glossy finish. I had the Everclear for when I was removing "ghosting" from pipes, and it just seemed logical to use it as a wet-sanding agent. It raises the grain just long enough to assist in the sanding, but then quickly evaporates. It leaves a powdery residue from the sanding. I buff the stummel with my Dremel before dyeing or polishing to remove that residue as an alternative to tack clothe.

Reactions: crusader