PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
If you like matches and old tech, you can’t beat a ceramic match striker. Luckily for me, Etsy is lousy with them.

This one is very stable thanks to the large base, and lets you select a match and strike it one-handed. Great for when you have an unwieldy pipe you’d rather not clench while digging around in a matchbox. Works perfectly with the Red Bird strike anywhere matches we get here at Canadian Tire.

B77D4424-FBF7-4E34-9309-B993CF0DA91C.jpeg

Anyone else like these handy contraptions?

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Your lucky............... the safety nazi's have taken them all out of the stores here in OH-IO............... :mad:
ah,... the good old Strike-Anywhere match. Now, just another victim by that uninformed, hyper-reactive, aggressive bunch of self-elected do-good'ers and protectors of imagined potential victims; known as: OMART - Organized Mothers Against Rational Thinking.

They'll be coming for your pipes and tabak eventually...

I always loved the look of the Dunhill match-holders with the strike surface on the base; but, I also question their stability. - Sherm Natman

Attachments

• DUNHILL_MY_MIXTURE_MATCH_HOLDER.jpg
    DUNHILL_MY_MIXTURE_MATCH_HOLDER.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DUNHILL_MY_MIXTURE_MATCH_HOLDER_02.jpg
    DUNHILL_MY_MIXTURE_MATCH_HOLDER_02.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DUNHILL_MY_MIXTURE_MATCH_HOLDER_04.jpg
    DUNHILL_MY_MIXTURE_MATCH_HOLDER_04.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Match Safe. If you wear a double watch chain you have to have a vesta case. What really interests me are these Red Bird matches that @Casual posted in the Op-Ed. For most of my smoking life I always used Swann Vesta matches which you could strike anywhere. These have been taken off the market by those kind people who not only worry about my health but devote every waking hour to making sure I don't set myself on fire or in someway harm myself!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a match safe and wore out the striker inside the lid.
Those ceramic strikers look cool! My challenge is here in Maryland, in the summer, I need to keep my matches in a small tupperware container as the humidity in my garage and patio (two of my smoke stations) ruins the matches and they get soggy. (same for my daughters patio in Louisiana (shot in about 10 minutes there...).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Match Safe. If you wear a double watch chain you have to have a vesta case. What really interests me are these Red Bird matches that @Casual posted in the Op-Ed. For most of my smoking life I always used Swann Vesta matches which you could strike anywhere. These have been taken off the market by those kind people who not only worry about my health but devote every waking hour to making sure I don't set myself on fire or in someway harm myself!
From what I've read it had more to do with the phosphorus being used to make bombs and meth.

Reactions: Papamique

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@chasingembers All part of the 'Health and Safety' mob taking the fun out of life. As to 'Meth' I always get a chuckle out of this article and have often wondered who got the Darwin Award ....

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@chasingembers All part of the 'Health and Safety' mob taking the fun out of life. As to 'Meth' I always get a chuckle out of this article and have often wondered who got the Darwin Award ....

Yeah, there were a couple of children killed here in town a few years ago when soda bottle meth cookers made by one of their relatives exploded.

• Angry
Reactions: Papamique and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.