PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
With all the talk about tobacco bans, I suspect there will be a lot of people Cellaring a lot more tobacco. I know I'm planning to start with around 15-20 pounds then see from there, I'll be starting with aromatics that I like seeing as they seem to be the first target.
What's the best storage methods?
Of course unopened tins are okay left in their sealed tins.

Opened tins can go into glass jars.
What about bulk tobaccos, is it best kept in its own packaging, put into glass jars, what about vacuum packing?
My first tobaccos I'm Cellaring ( or have already cellared)
Mac Baren Vanilla Flake

Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal Blend

Lane 1Q

Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader

Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture

Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake
Does the type of tobacco influence the best methods,, flakes, aromatics, plugs, English blends?

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Just keep them jarred in a cool, dark place and they should be alright. Of course How well they hold up to cellaring depends a lot on the type of blend with Virginia's, and VA/Pers benefiting the most from it. Latakia blends tend to mellow out a bit, and Aros seem to loose a bit of their flavoring over time. Of course YMMV.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
That's sort of the discussion I wanted to start. I know that jarring gives them air which allows them to age. So maybe Virginians and VaPer's might cellar better when vacuum sealed. Is it better to jar a tobacco like Vanilla cream Flakes or leave them in the 1 lb package they come in, or even be one the safe side and vacuum pack the original package.
If you're looking to cellar to have a supply of tobacco as opposed to aging tobacco is one method better? I would suspect the vacuum packing woul be the best for pure long term storage. If I'm putting away 20-30 pounds that will last most likely 20 years or so. Would. I be best to put a quantity in jars for aging say 5 years worth then vacuum seal the rest?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
My local tobacconist recommends AGAINST using vacuum sealing. He says it takes away the natural moisture within the leaf. Mason jars for bulk work just fine.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
How does it take away moisture, I really can't see which mechanism that would be considering the tins and bulk packages are vacuum seal, so are such things as coffee which is very dependent on the natural oils. Especially if you're vacuuming aro's that have lots of moisture to begin with. I could see where repeatedly vacuuming the moist air out could in theory have a determental effect.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
No matter the blend I store unopened tins as I buy them. Bulks and opened tins, I store in jars. I do have a couple pounds of FVF still in the box wrapped from the factory and then stored in a freezer zip lock bag. Last time I opened one it was in fantastic shape. But with that one, I probably should open and jar both pounds, or at least open one and make sure it's still ok being stored that way. Hate to have 2lb of FVF turn to dust.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks, I'm thinking my flakes I will vacuum pack them in the original packages. The other will most likely get jarred. I wonder if the heartfelt people could make 40% humidity beads or tubes. That would be great to guy an old cedar chest make sure it seals then control the humidity to 35% -40% m you have a pipe tobacco humidor. At 40 % you'd be hard pressed to get mold growth.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Well another pound of 1Q and 7 Seas Royal B,end on its way. The Cellaring has begun. Brings it up to 4 lbs plus a bunch of tins to boot. Found a god way to seal my mason jars, basically put the by themselves on the bottom rack of dish washer, set the extra hot rinse cycle, when the are dry and hot take them out put the hot tops on and when they cool you got a little vacuum seal.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Cellar wide and cellar deep. I haven't checked my cellar in a few months, so I should see how much I have. Not nearly enough for the rest of my life. That's for sure. I have no idea how much I should be squirreling away. My favorites I've already started buying more of. I'm also trying to vary my selections so that I have variety in the future. I feel like that I shouldn't be getting 50g/2 oz. tins unless that's the only way they come. I plan on buying many bulks by the pound if possible. I really just want to be able to enjoy my pipes for the rest of my life.
-Jason

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I'm just buying a few small tins of what I like so that I have the tins to put the bulk in later. I think if I have 20lbs or so that should do me the rest of my life if they ban it. I'll have some nice aged stuff to boot. I've started filling the humidor with cigars too.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
One thing worth mentioning with cellaring tins: keep them away from moisture. I've begun keeping all my tins in large waterproof plastic storage containers with a silica gel packet, after noticing some surface rust on tins that were around last summer on my shelf. OCD? Maybe. But I know that I'll have pristine tins for years. It's a minor investment for a long-term security.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I've been smoking from a tin of Mac Baren Mixture Flake. I really have come to love this blend. The tin says Virginia, Burley and the original McB Cavendish are the base tobaccos. They also describe it as "slightly aromatic" I've found it to be a nice middle ground between the aromatic and the virginia based blends. The natural sweetness of the virginia and the burley stand out but without being a smack in the face. And it comes in 100 g tins perfect for cellaring. I plan on stocking up a few myself it should age nicely since it's not a full on aromatic.
Thought I'd pass it along since you seem to be a McB fan. :puffy:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'd like to think that once I get older and my kids are out of the house, that I'll have more time to smoke so I'm trying to increase my cellar size for the future. Thanks for the great idea, romeo! I have a crap-ton of those packets sitting on my desk at work. Now I have a use for them!
-Jason

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
steyrshrek, I am with you on "why not vacuum seal?". Every tin I have ever bought is vacuum sealed. That's why they they make that air rushing noise when you open them. It keeps moisture in, it does not remove it. Bigvan, I would check to make sure you tobacconist has canned or preserved for long term storage with vaccum.
I preserve lots of foods, wet and dry. I am using the following methods to cellar:
Food saver vacuum bags sealed in vacuum
Mason jars are sealed in vacuum using two methods: 1) using the food saver attachment for mason jars allows a vacuum seal using no additional seat or moisture. 2) is a method I have used to can dried peppers, though I am experimenting to check for adverse effect on the tobacco. You put the jar and lid in the oven at 150 degrees long enough for them to reach temp. (NOT THE TOBACCO!). You take the jar out and put the product in the jar put the lid and ring on, and twist to contact, plus a bit (half inch) to snug it. The heated lid conforms better to the jar. As the jar cools, you get the same pop at sealing that you do when water bath canning. The peppers after one year had no adverse affect. After 10 years, I was able to get some seeds to germinate and the dried peppers were still spicy, though not as new.
I believe that the glass containers will prove far superior to plastic for long term storage.
Please not that light severely degrades preserved goods. So as much as we like to look at our stash, put it in the dark and only take it out when needed. It will last far longer.
One experiment I will be trying is taking a pint of tobacco and suspending it as densely as possible in some alcohol (prob. rum) to see what effect long term storage has after the liquid is allowed to evaporate.
Please keep in mind that there is no guaranteed way to preserve any product for 30 or 40 years without some degradation. However, a slightly less than perfect bowl will be heaven compares to nothing!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
First, ban or not ban, it is easy to foresee that tobacco is not going to get easier to get, or cheaper. It is just sensible to take advantage of the fact that we enjoy an item that can be stored for years. The only reason you can make a mistake, it's if you quit smoking, and then there will be plenty buying from you...
I have a wine cellar (for similar reasons as for tobacco), and I keep the tobacco and the wine together. From that, I am using the idea (still testing, so I cannot advice on the result) of storing the bulk in emptied and throughfully cleaned and dried bottles of wine, sealed by a clean cork. Theoretically, it is ideal: Oxygen exchange is minimized but allows maturing, cork is a proved material resilient to age. The green or ruby glass of the bottle avoids light, and there are plenty of bottle storing devices that allow for comfortable placement. Let's see how it works.
It makes me smile the thought of opening with a corkscrew a "vintage" blend 5 years from now.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
That's a great idea Carlosviet. Must be a little difficult to get the tobacco out of the bottle though.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I agree with ohin! That idea is pretty good and I like to see you out it in action then let us know how it worked.

I plan on joining the group of mass tobacco canners so that when the ban comes, I will be set for life!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Must be a little difficult to get the tobacco out of the bottle though.
Yes, I think you are right. It brings to my mind getting the coins back from the piggy with a knife in the slot...

I'll still try, anyway. As we all see, it is plain that, even in the best case scenario, tobacco is going to be considerably more expensive year after year. 100 dollars in tobacco today, are going to be 120 dollars next year!
I'll fill those bottles and use a hooked wire when the moment comes...

Status
Not open for further replies.