PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
If you are using Mason-style jars and have a vacuum sealer with an accessory port, try out the FoodSave Jar Sealer if you'd like to remove some or all of the air from the jar. It's available in either a regular mouth version or wide mouth version and works great for long term storage of dry goods. I use it a lot for storing open bulk hops in the refrigerator and freezer.
Have you tried it with tobacco?
I go back into some of these jars frequently, so that probably wouldn't be a good idea for that...but I didn't think about that for long term storage...Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: BROBS

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Have you tried it with tobacco?
I go back into some of these jars frequently, so that probably wouldn't be a good idea for that...but I didn't think about that for long term storage...Thanks for the idea.
No, I haven't. The recommendation was provided if somebody has the desire to remove some or all of the air from the jar. Stuffing with cotton won't do it because it's too porous to displace enough air to make difference. However, some amount of air is necessary for oxidation and/or fermentation to occur, if that's the desired aging effect. It really depends on the goal to be achieved.

Please note that the FoodSaver Jar Sealer doesn't really create a permanent seal. It doesn't heat the lid like water bath or pressure cooker canning, so the same lid can be used numerous times/everyone it's been opening with it, provided it's not bent. It's just a way to remove some of nearly all of the air from the jar to help with storage, depending on your intentions.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hmmm... this I haven’t heard before. (The mason jars busting part). I pack some jars pretty aggressively - I mean pressed down hard! Is this really a thing? I’m now considering if I need to remove some tobacco from some of the most condensed jars...

All I would say is that by pressing down so hard I suppose you would be preventing the oxygen's access to the individual tobacco bits/flakes. But that would only matter in the aerobic phase. By the time fermentation becomes anaerobic i don't see that it would matter much at all.

But not that I understand it, some have said that the physical abutment furthers fermentation; yet
it makes no sense to me that the interaction of adjacent molecules in one piece of tobacco can jump across the barrier of space between it and separate pieces.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
No, I haven't. The recommendation was provided if somebody has the desire to remove some or all of the air from the jar. Stuffing with cotton won't do it because it's too porous to displace enough air to make difference. However, some amount of air is necessary for oxidation and/or fermentation to occur, if that's the desired aging effect. It really depends on the goal to be achieved.

Please note that the FoodSaver Jar Sealer doesn't really create a permanent seal. It doesn't heat the lid like water bath or pressure cooker canning, so the same lid can be used numerous times/everyone it's been opening with it, provided it's not bent. It's just a way to remove some of nearly all of the air from the jar to help with storage, depending on your intentions.

The amount of air in the jar is irrelevant, but if there is air fermentation will begin aerobically before becoming anaerobic. As I understand it the type of fermentation, how much in one phase and how much in the other, is also irrelevant.

Fermentation or organic degradation is the next phase of organic entities past death. We prize the qualities that same substances have in their phases of decay, be it cheese or tobacco. No air or air are simply part of that decay, flavoring agents if you will.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
no... over time it should cause a vacuum not pressure.
This is false. I've got tins of GLP's Gaslight that are swelled like tennis balls, and they wont stack. I've also had a mason jar go off like a shotgun when I opened it............ 'Bout shat myself when that happened!......... ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is false. I've got tins of GLP's Gaslight that are swelled like tennis balls, and they wont stack. I've also had a mason jar go off like a shotgun when I opened it............ 'Bout shat myself when that happened!......... ?
That would be from improperly cured tobacco.

let me rephrase: “a properly cured tobacco will cause a vacuum”.

keep buying that C&D shit tho