PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Has anyone cellared Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs? The plug is wrapped in plastic, which is placed in a sealed pouch. I have entire pouches in a large mason jar, but would like to remove them from the pouches (and even the plastic maybe), and store in a jar that way. Would it be best to just leave them alone? I'm just wondering what effect, if any, aging in those little plastic wrappers would have.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Has anyone cellared Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs? The plug is wrapped in plastic, which is placed in a sealed pouch. I have entire pouches in a large mason jar, but would like to remove them from the pouches (and even the plastic maybe), and store in a jar that way. Would it be best to just leave them alone? I'm just wondering what effect, if any, aging in those little plastic wrappers would have.
I bought 20 plugs the year they came out and jarred them in their plastic wrappers.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Got the impression the inside wrappers were cellophane. Whatever the case may be, I jared them with the cellophane left on -- several 'bars' to a jar.

Couple years later they seem to be doing fine. The wrapper hasn't yet discolored, so might not be cellophane.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Got the impression the inside wrappers were cellophane. Whatever the case may be, I jared them with the cellophane left on -- several 'bars' to a jar.

Couple years later they seem to be doing fine. The wrapper hasn't yet discolored, so might not be cellophane.
You're right, it actually seems more like cellophane.

Reactions: ofafeather
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think it makes much difference but if your primary objective is aging, I'd remove the plug from everything and place the plug, by itself, in a jar or mylar bag. You want some oxygen to aid with the aging and that seems the best way to achieve that. I don't know that the plastic would hurt anything but I don't see how the plastic would benefit anything either. So I'd get rid of it.

If you are thinking you may sell it down the road, then I'd place the pouch and all in a jar or mylar bag. Assuming you plenty of room that is.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I don't think it makes much difference but if your primary objective is aging, I'd remove the plug from everything and place the plug, by itself, in a jar or mylar bag. You want some oxygen to aid with the aging and that seems the best way to achieve that. I don't know that the plastic would hurt anything but I don't see how the plastic would benefit anything either. So I'd get rid of it.

If you are thinking you may sell it down the road, then I'd place the pouch and all in a jar or mylar bag. Assuming you plenty of room that is.
No selling ambitions -- personal cellar. I did remove them all from their little cellophanes and jarred them.

Status
Not open for further replies.