PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
When cellaring tobaccos in a mason/ball jar should you make sure you fill up a certain amount of the jar with tobacco? Can not having enough tobacco in a jar cause it to dry out? Thanks!

If the seal is good the moisture level shouldn’t change. As far as how much to fill there are different schools of thought regarding how tobacco ages - loose fill vs packed - but most people choose how they pack for more mundane reasons. Some people prefer less jars so will pack as much as possible in. Others will make sure they pack in smaller quantities so they can leave some undisturbed as they smoke from a different container. So you may pack on quantities of 2-4oz based on how you smoke.

Sparks317

Lurker
Jun 24, 2020
Indianapolis
If the seal is good the moisture level shouldn’t change. As far as how much to fill there are different schools of thought regarding how tobacco ages - loose fill vs packed - but most people choose how they pack for more mundane reasons. Some people prefer less jars so will pack as much as possible in. Others will make sure they pack in smaller quantities so they can leave some undisturbed as they smoke from a different container. So you may pack on quantities of 2-4oz based on how you smoke.
That makes sense. I think I’m leaning towards a more loose pack and not using a oversized tamper to mash tobacco into a jar lol thanks for the reply!

Reactions: ofafeather

Sparks317

Lurker
Jun 24, 2020
Indianapolis
I cram 1 pound of ribbon into a wide mouthed, squared shaped pint jar with a caulk gun just for space saving. The same sized jar holds half a pound of cube cut or flakes. I don't cellar for aging, just for volume.

View attachment 34498
Sounds like you’ve run into quite a collection there sir. I hope one day i have to worry about saving space because i have too much pipeweed. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: ofafeather

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I generally cram as much in a jar as I can, the exception being flakes, which I try to keep whole. Even with cramming a lot of tobacco into a jar, there is still a lot of air left in the jar and in my opinion, won’t affect the aging one way or another. I open tins that are packed so tightly I have to scrape at the tobacco to loosen it, so I’ve never worried about the air space in my jars.
For 2oz/50g tins, I’ll often use one of the short squat mason jars and stuff it full, being careful to keep the sealing surfaces clean of specks of tobacco. For larger quantities of bulk stuff, or flakes, I like the 1/2 pints or pint jars. Ribbon cut gets crammed in tight in those, too.

Reactions: Sparks317

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Holy smokes. You must have tobacco falling out of your ears at this point haha, now would you say you’re more of a collector or do you actually plan on smoking all of it? I guess at this point if that’s even possible.. lol
I've been putting it up for thirty years for a time when I could no longer justify the cost of tobacco. Mostly there now as I will rarely spend more than $5/ounce for it. I go through 12-15 pounds per year so it will definitely get smoked.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a strong urge to topple all those tins of the table, like a cat would. Partly because it would make a pleasing racket, but mostly because of pure jealousy.
I've got cats. When I display the tins like that I have strong earth magnets under the lid caps to hold them together. They just fall over in stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.