PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
I'm thinking of stocking up on pouches of the new Amphora English. Can they be stored in the sealed pouches or should I remove the contents to a mason jar? How long do you think they can remain in the pouches?

Reactions: hauntedmyst

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Pouches typically aren’t sealed and will dry out. Transfer to a jar or Mylar bag and heat seal the pouches
Thanks. Transfer the contents to a jar or can the pouches be put into a jar as is, do you think?

I use the larger jars and just put whole packs in there. I think it is five or six pouches per jar/ They are somewhat sealed, and if it is in a pouch, it probably has something to prevent it from drying quickly. I have jars full of Condor and Salty Dog that have been in there for a few years now.

But, if the pouches aren't of any value to you, then just pouring them into a jar is fine.

sgh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2019
The environment in the jar is aerobic until the oxygen is gone, then it goes anaerobic. That sequence starts over every time the seal is broken, which is why 'checking' on your tobacco is a bad idea.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
As I'm a grandpa, I get baby food jars routinely. I put enough tobacco in there for short term needs and jar the remainder in larger quart jars. Works well for me.

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
Any tobacco that doesn't come in a sealed tin should either be transferred to a mason jar type of container or vacuum sealed for long-term cellaring

Status
Not open for further replies.