PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Greetings everyone, been lurking for a while and have finally decided to post. I bought a 250g box of Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and I want to store it away for a couple/few years in a mason jar. I think a little aging will do it some good. My only concern is its high moisture content and the possibility of mold. Its quite wet! Should I dry it out a little before jarring it up or just roll with it as is? Thanks

Reactions: oldtoby

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Definitely dry it a bit.

My stash of FVF and BBF has been under glass since 2009 with nary a problem. And like yours, mine needed a few hours of dry time beforehand.

Reactions: Worknman

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I've never dried any SG out before aging and (knock on wood) haven't encountered any mold in any of the tins or bulk I've enjoyed. I don't think it would hurt to dry it out a little but I wouldn't consider it necessary.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I didn’t dry mine either, and I may be totally wrong, but I personally would be afraid that exposing the tobacco to any extra air could potentially introduce molds to it. That’s probably over-the-top thinking, but that’s how I manage my stuff.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
C&D come with less moisture than most other blends and seem to have more of a problem with mold than most any other blender.

I just jar SG and don't worry about mold, it's worked well for me so far as I've never experienced any mold.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
You could always be lucky and be fine.
Or the gawith moisture gremlins could wreak havoc..

20180418-132623.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Good photo, but hard to tell if it's bloom or mold.

Should we start a poll on this??

:) sher

I was thinking the same thing... doesn't look like some of the fuzzy mold pictures I've seen before. It might just be some very well-aged baccy puf

Reactions: jpmcwjr

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
What does it smell like? If it doesn't smell like FVF any longer one way or another its spoiled.

(Edit) Nevermind, I see the picture is not of FVF

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I think I'll do an experiment and put half in one jar with no drying and half in another jar with some dry time. Check back in a few years and see if theres any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.