PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
This week I ordered extra tobacco for the first time ever. I am starting to believe that this may be necessary to guarantee I can enjoy this hobby in ten or fifteen years. I don't smoke that much a year, so it has never been a concern. Never thought I would ever do this. On the upside. Having aged tobacco will be a bonus, so why not? Old dogs learning new tricks. Speaking of old, Old Dark Fired might be hard to find for a while.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I did the same within the past year. It's a good move, no matter where on the spectrum your tastes are. Now that the Ball jars are back in respectable amounts again (there was a little issue here in California for a couple months), I fully endorse snagging a bunch of those too. I got about two dozen of the 8 oz. variety, and a dozen of the 4 oz. ones for my lower stock blends. Also got a couple dozen of the 7 mil mylar bags per the advice of @hoosierpipeguy and I feel I'm all set and ready for whatever else the tobacco-hating fascists have up their collective sleeve.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When you get serious about cellaring you start feeding your cellar rather than feeding it to feed yourself. On the one hand you don't know how hungry you might get; on the other if you're fed so too is the cellar.

Reactions: JOHN72

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Forget cellaring for aging purposes. That's a nice bonus, but I'm really concerned that online sales won't be a thing several years from now.
Ditto. Many others share this concern too. I am an hour north of Los Angeles, so if Tobacco Trader in West LA goes kaput (which all B&Ms in LA inevitably do), I and many others in a 100+ miles radius are up the fecal creek with no paddle, boat, or flares, if you catch my drift. It's a veritable tobacco wasteland in these parts. Even if you live in a town where tobacco isn't regarded in this fashion, I can't think of a single reason not to cellar to the Nth degree.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
At 3 bowls a day I have enough for 15 years. Not enough, but I plan to add 5 years to that by August. I've got plenty of tins so I'm concentrating on bulks and tubs. If online sales are done away with, I will drive to Mass and fill the trunk with WCC and LPJ. I have a good local source for SWR and Granger so that I have covered.
And then you can bootleg half of the Peretti orientals to Tennessee. Yes, sir, we'll make you very rich indeed.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I recommend that you develop a way to track what's in your cellar, a spreadsheet will do as will several web-based solutions. I've found that it has helped to avoid purchasing blends that I already had in abundance or to review periodically for blends that I have yet to try. I also track whether a particular blend is a candidate for re-purchase as well as the few that are banned.

Reactions: JoeKemp
Status
Not open for further replies.