Cellaring C&D Small Batch Carolina Red Flake With Perique Sep' 2021.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
So, we're just about entering 1 year since this tobacco was released. How long y'all thinking of cellaring this tobacco. Have you smoked your allotment already? I smoked a can just after receiving it, it was great. What's y'all's opinion on cellaring this one?
Mine is bulging nicely. Gonna pop one this weekend.

Reactions: AJL67

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I haven’t noticed bulging on any of my tins, but I haven’t looked at them specifically recently. I’ll have to look and see, now I’m curious. I smoked through 1 of the 5 that l ordered, but will probably wait a bit longer to get back around to opening another tin. It’s as much a function of working through what’s already open as “intentionally” aging further. I think 3-ish years will be a good mark.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Really, no bulging? ok
Cellaring was discussed sometime ago here and myself and another guy both said our C&D cans were bulging. Of course, its not an exact science, but if yours ain't, then they ain't.
I'm thinking 12 months is enough, the tobaccos were both 1 year old before processing, 2020.
So was fixing to open another one this weekend.

Reactions: AJL67

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
The original Red Flake, which they tinned and sold until 2019, was awesome right away, but the leaf was from 2015 so it had some age. I'm assuming this last release would be fine to smoke right now as well, even though it has less age and a lower sugar content.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just for comparison here is a tin of 2018 compared to some C&D, some Ash from early 2000s and Frog from 97. As you can see it’s way ahead of the “bulge game”. Some of the C&D tins I’m afraid are going to explode before i sell them, really not into a few of them and works rather sell or trade them when my 4 months is up.

4DEA2536-A1CA-4E01-A087-49E6765E5AFB.jpeg
167B32A7-7040-44F0-8C16-3C4E8527E301.jpeg

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I smoked a tin when I first got it last year and just recently finished up another. I have no idea when I'll get around to popping another tin as I have quite a bit of aged tobacco in my cellar that I need to start smoking. Both tins that I smoked have been very tasty and satisfactory in my book. I suspect it will age well.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Left to right:
Anthology ‘22, CRF w/P ‘21, Warped The Hunt ‘21, Straight up English ‘17
D30FEB27-D3B7-4DE7-924F-157CDEA50969.jpeg
of these, only the Straight up English has started to show signs of bulging. my tins of blue mountain from 2011 don’t have any signs of bulging, and 2010 Christmas cheer is barely rounded.

The Hunt maybe just a tad, and I can see the difference between the 21 and 22 tins, but it’s pretty minimal. Don’t know what may be different about conditions here, but I’m sure they’ll all be good when I pop em, either way. ?

??‍♂️

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
The original Red Flake, which they tinned and sold until 2019, was awesome right away, but the leaf was from 2015 so it had some age. I'm assuming this last release would be fine to smoke right now as well, even though it has less age and a lower sugar content.
I didn't get the original from 2019.
But I did open a can of the latest release when I received it, it was fantastic straight out of the can, at least the taste was, I'm sure there might have been some drying time too. But hey, that's almost 12 months ago, my memory ain't what it used to be.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I've got a jar of 18 and 21 w/ Perique I smoke on every now and then. Really great flakes. I have enough to slowly smoke on this stuff for years to come without having to pop a tin very often, so some will inevitably get aged past the 5 year mark. But it's quite enjoyable now, I say smoke it.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’m smoking some 18 right now and it’s pretty darn good, it’s a wonderful go between on the sweeter Virginia blends that i frequent, i really like to break things up to keep the monotony to a minimum, including firing up something completely different like a pipe of Presbyterian or Squadron Leader.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man