PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Everything I've read says we should store/cellar our tobacco in a controlled/stable temp environment. With that I'm curious about seasonal temp changes... I know many people who run thier homes a little hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter purely for economical reasons, me being one of them. Mass cellaring seems to be a recent(ish) trend, but I'm curious what the evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) says thus far about allowance for seasonal temp changes in our cellars. Does everyone with a home cellar lock thier thermostat year round or do we have some who adjust based on the season as I do? Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My home stays at 76°F-80°F year round. No issues with the jars in three decades.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
'94 Christmas Cheer
'99-'01 Black Frigate
'04 Charring Cross
'04 Maltese Falcon
'07 Penzance

Many just as old and in between but these are the standouts.
Sounds like a dangerous collection to drink around! I'd be interested in a side-by-side of your Maltese Falcon with a new tin. I didn't realize it was even around in '04.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd be interested in a side-by-side of your Maltese Falcon with a new tin. I didn't realize it was even around in '04.
That was a typo. The MF is from '08. Probably haven't opened a tin of it in over 10 years. That was when I was frantically looking for a Mephisto replacement.? May get around to opening one soon though.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Unless the swings in temp are major, I'd not worry about it. And I'd wager no one has done a proper study of what differences (if any) between a cellar kept at 68º constant and one that varies from 60-80º for example.
If you want to send me two tins of all the blends in your cellar I’ll conduct a study for youpuffy
I’ll work for free I just don’t know if you’d get any tobacco back as the study will require immense research

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO, sealed tobacco probably won't suffer from gradual temperature swings from 65 - 75°F. But the seal on square tins (and to a lesser extent round flat tins) may suffer under that condition as it gets older and less flexible.

Last edited:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Rusting, from the inside out, may occur if a warm tin is suddenly exposed to cold conditions, since the moisture in the relatively warm tobacco might condense on the inside of the tin.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Rusting, from the inside out, may occur if a warm tin is suddenly exposed to cold conditions, since the moisture in the relatively warm tobacco might condense on the inside of the tin.
I wasnt considering seal integrity or rusting, but both seem valid concerns. I plan to keep the temp swings to no more than about 8-10°F over the seasonal changes. Thanks for the additional food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.