PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
This weekend I found myself with that rare precious thing known as 'free time' and decided to use it going through my cellar/stash, tidying it up and taking note of what I had. Low and behold I found a few tins had seemingly lost their seal though I'm at a loss as to why.
2 tins of GLP maltese falcon

1 tin of GLP sextant

1 tin of SPC plum pudding special reserve
These tins were all purchased at different times over the past 3-4 months, though the oldest tin date is Jun/Jul-17.
The plumcake looks more swollen while the GLP tins appear sealed but have slight give in the foil caps. I'll jar them up now..but is there anything that might cause this to happen prematurely, or is it a coming issue you find with GLP/SPC blends. I'd welcome any advise you have when it comes to protecting the seals... I don't mind jarring but as space is small is integer to keep it tinned than to fill every nook with mason jars. Thanks
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmm ... at first I would be tempted to say that it may be a manufacturing defect, but three tins is a bit too much. I haven't had experience with these blends, however foil cover type tins I have noticed to be a bit more sensitive to transportation or storing. May it be a possibility that they somehow got damaged during their mail transit? Also, I keep the foil covered ones apart from the part of my cellar (basically a cupboard in my desk) that I handle frequently. Dropping them, or pushing against other tins may very well damage them ...

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Too many tins and too fresh for this to be a coincidence. Any exposure to heat or elevation?

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Those style tins are packed and sealed at normal atmospheric pressures, they are not vacuum sealed so how can you tell they lost their seal?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The SPC swollen can may not have a compromised seal. The can swells BECAUSE the seal is intact.
I have a can of Hal O The Wynd in similar condition. I think, with sealed containers, the aerobic activity at first creates pressure, then, as things change, the anaerobic activity turns it to a vacuum.
The stronger tins won't show swelling, but the pressure still occurs during that phase.
That's my understanding and, of course, subject to correction by our piping elders.
Blame it on the groundhog??
jay-roger.jpg

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
I fear that temperature may be a factor.. If anything they've been kept too cold..though I did relocate them to a kitchen cupboard far away from the stove and radiator. Thankfully the seals on all my McClelland's tins are holding well.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Interesting reading thanks guys. I wasn't sure if the seals are compromised.. I don't see any openings in the cans and the only sign I have is that the foil can be slightly popped/clicked on and out.. Similar to a mason jar that's been opened.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Tins should last longer than that but I always transfer to small canning jars for long term storage.

You're not playing hockey with the tins are ya? ha ha.

What makes you think the tins have leaked? Just curious, as I have recently added quite a few new GLP blends recently. Some of the ones with more than five years are ballooned out, but the newer ones are still working their magic inside. Popping one of those ballooned tins is like opening pure euphoria.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
What woodsroad said.
Anytime you see a tin that is"puffy," that is a very good sign because it means the fermentation and aging process has progressed nicely. One of the best smells in the world is opening a puffy tin and hearing that beautiful whooossshhh sound and smelling the escaping gasses. I've had 20-30 year old puffed up tins of McClelland's Virginia blends that were almost like smoking pure tobacco manna from heaven. And the smell once I popped the tins made me drool. Whenever you do decide to pop the tops, make sure your snout is right up close to the tin. You don't want to miss getting a whiff!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I wasn't sure if the seals are compromised.. I don't see any openings in the cans and the only sign I have is that the foil can be slightly popped/clicked on and out.. Similar to a mason jar that's been opened.
That's totally normal, you're fine, not to worry, they are just doing their thing. The style tins you are talking about are the least likely to breach their seal. Although, on second thought, that's a damn good excuse to pop them open and start smoking them... hehe. :puffy:

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Well I did grow suspicious when the box I was using had a slight tobacco smell coming off of it.. I didn't have any spare jars at the time so I threw each tin into its own Ziploc and waited to see what was said here. I just took another look and sure enough when I opened the plum pudding bag I could smell the latakia coming through. :( on closer inspection of the tin, what I had initially taken for a bulge might be actually be the result of something pressing against the lid and slightly crimping the foil seal. (I'd post a picture if a knew how lol). Thanks for the help though guys, it's truly appreciated. Not sure whether I'll jar the whole tin in 1 jar, or split it into smaller jars to be sampled over time...I'll grab a bowl in the process though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is how to add photos to your post using the site's photo album:
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, (-600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg
An example, of a thumbnail named "hms-penzance-1940...." followed by "-150x100.jpg" is the name of the photo in my album, and it's the "-150x100" that limits the size.

hms-penzance-1940-150x100.jpg

If I remove the numbers, it goes to whatever size at which it was uploaded, subject to web sized image limitations.
hms-penzance-1940.jpg

If it were me, and I wasd absolutely certain that it was leaking, I would either smoke it right away, or contact the retailer to make arrangements for swapping it out. However, one tin losing its seal is one thing, but three? That might sound suspicious. I have never lost a seal... or a sea lion, or walrus, or even a dolphin for that matter. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.