Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
You know, it dawned on me the other day it would be good to have a tobacco buddy in case one of us dies so our non smoking spouses or kids don't just randomly throw out thousands of dollars of pipes and tobacco. Just based off the sheer amount some on this forum have, think of the loss.

This is a great idea. Everyone send all of your tobacco to me so that I can test it and evaluate it. I'll then return the remaining tobacco and a written estimate of its worth to keep on hand. ?

But seriously, good idea. My wife knows not to just trash it. She knows that it is valuable.

Reactions: BROBS and gervais

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
You know, it dawned on me the other day it would be good to have a tobacco buddy in case one of us dies so our non smoking spouses or kids don't just randomly throw out thousands of dollars of pipes and tobacco. Just based off the sheer amount some on this forum have, think of the loss.

You mean a kind of DeadPool where this guy turns up at the door about a week after we've been planted (although I assume all pipe smokers are actually getting cremated, first with char-light then... well you get the picture) anyway DP is all dressed up in his UPS shorts & clipboard in hand etc and demands the widow hand over all the pipes and tobacco for delivery to a Mr Haunted Myst?

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Some of the first writing on "cellaring" was from Greg Pease, which was inspired by what was going on in select circles of pipesmoking. I don't know the dates or the names of the original circle, but I believe it goes back to the early 2000's, maybe late 1990's.

Greg is also a wine aficionado, involved in winemaking also. So, it makes sense to use the tern borrowed from those who cellar wines. Using it as a verb... to cellar, cellaring, comes from the wine world also.

For years, we have leaned on the writings of Greg Pease for how and what to cellar, because he was the first, and it has only been recently since others have added to our dogma.

It seems to have all come from people looking for old tins, found left stowed back in storage by older pipesmokers after they passed away. Then folks noticed that tins of older Balkan Sobranie had mellowed and sweetened after setting in a dead guys pipe storage area for a few decades. Or, someone finds an out of date tin of a straight Virginia, which smokes amazingly sweeter than what they remember.

It hasn't been but until very recently that Europeans have joined the craze, and pipe tobacco companies expect their blends to be smoked right away, but also recently have considered the demands of those who cellar to make tins that will last longer than just what it takes to get from factory to the retail shelf.

Its clear why that chap would refer to it as a cellar/cellaring especially as his primary aim would seem to be about aging/flavours etc rather than the hoarding style of bulk buying or preferential tax/tax avoidance and equally easy to see why the naming convention would catch on for any/all motives leading to a collection of tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.