Celestron Digital Microscope Pro For Looking At Stampings. Anyone Else Crazy Like This?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I finally decided to see if a digital microscope would help me clarify the stampings on my pipes. Some of my stampings are unreadable using my hand-held magnifying glass and the 40x jewelers loop so I decided to by a Celestron Digital Microscope Pro to see if it would make it easier.
Anyone else go crazy and do this?
Here are some pictures I was able to capture using the microscope.
First two pictures are using the built-in variable LED light. The third picture I turned off the LEDs because the metal repair band was causing too much of a reflection and washing out the stampings.FE F_T Pepaired.jpgFE F_T Repaired_2.jpgFE F_T Repaired_3.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I enjoy solving all sorts of puzzles. I wouldn't go out and purchase an expensive microscope for this sort of thing, but if I had one at my disposal, I'd certainly use it. I have a 42 megapixel camera with a good macro lens and extension tubes which I have used to magnify details like this in the past.
DAMN! I never thought of using my macro lenses for this!

Reactions: lightmybriar

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I enjoy solving all sorts of puzzles. I wouldn't go out and purchase an expensive microscope for this sort of thing, but if I had one at my disposal, I'd certainly use it. I have a 42 megapixel camera with a good macro lens and extension tubes which I have used to magnify details like this in the past.

B&H Photo for $120. Figured it's like buying a pipe and figured it would be easier to look at the computer monitor than fight with my eyes!! Well worth the money to me.

Reactions: lightmybriar

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Nikon D800 series?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use my Canon Macro lens on occasion, and I have a magnifier with a high intensity light that I also use. But I find that one of my Agfa 8x lupes works perfectly well when used upside down, an old trick I learned in the VFX business when studying negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.