PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I just ordered 4 ounces of OJK bulk. Is it likely to be much different from the tinned product? It certainly appears cheaper per ounce when ordered in bulk.

I can't speak to this one particular blend, because I have only ever had OJK in bulk... but, the C&D blends that I have had both versions, they all seem pretty much the same. I have found no discernible difference. They have some available only in tins that seem to be very high quality tobacco. My guess is that if the tobacco is better in some way, that they would keep it as a tin-only blend. Just my $0.02 guesstimate.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I thought OJK had more of a nicotine kick from the tin. Another close blend, Haunted Bookshop, tasted better from the tin then bulk, but the nicotine kick was about the same compared to the bulk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've only had OJK in bulk. It seems to me it gains some strength with aging, maybe because it dries out and burns a little faster and hotter. It has some nicotine. I've always enjoyed the fullness of flavor. I don't smoke it for the nicotine, but that's okay too. A year is plenty, probably a few months.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love OJK but I’ve never had it in the tin. If something is offered both in tin and bulk I always prefer the bulk. C&D has been asked this same questions on YouTube and they assured us that bulk and tin tobaccos are the exact same blend. I only think it would hurt their sales if they did put the “good” OJK in tins and sell the inferior stuff in bulk, however, that’s what a lot of people think blenders do.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Also an OJK fan. I started with the tin and moved to bulk. I've had one experience where the bulk was initially much different than the tin, and I didn't like it one bit, but it came around after a few weeks in the jar. Otherwise, it's been pretty much the same, so that was maybe a fluke or a particularly young batch/bin or something. Either way, the consensus seems to be that it benefits from some jar time.
A bit off topic, but... Folks often complain/rejoice that CD bulks are shipped very dry and need a little rehydration. My most recent orders (last two weeks) of several different CD bulks have all had ideal, smoking-ready water content. To my mind, that's an improvement and a sign they've successfully vanquished the mold problems again. Can't take my hat off to those guys enough.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I've smoked through pounds of the bulk, never bought the tin. I love the stuff...

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have never tried bulk before. It’s all been from tins. So I was just interested to know if anyone had noticed much difference because I have not tried OJK in a tin either.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Tin's are for convenience of cellaring.

Bulk is for convenience of price point.
The only blend I've had both in tin form and bulk is MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired.
Tinned/Flake form I found produces a deeper flavor of chocolate and plums when I fold and stuff.

The ready rubbed version seems to have a brighter sweet flavor and a little less vinegar aroma.
However, I find them both satisfying in their respected types, and it's one of my favorite blends. I'll probably end up buying ready rubbed for the price point and readily available smoking, and perhaps a few 3.5oz tins for cellaring and opening a decade later.

Status
Not open for further replies.