PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I bought one early in my smoking, a billiard, yet with a conical/Dublin bowl. Smoked hell out of it, and like the n00b I was, completely blackened the rim. Must have traded it several years later after purchase.

I bought it because of Cavicchis fantastic prices on smooths, then and now. When I look at the price on a nice blast but then look at the same maker's price on even a mediocre smooth, the price doubles. Maybe such pricing prevailed when I started in 2001, but I don't remember it that way.

At any rate, had I not quit and were I in the market for some pretty wood, Cavicchi's smooths would get my attention. They are perhaps 30-40% more.

Reactions: tfdickson and BROBS

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I agree. I've found myself looking at those pipes from time to time. Some of them have beautiful grain. Tough that the price is going up, but that seems to be the way for most things.

Buying one now, I suspect most people would still be satisfied. They just look nice.

Reactions: BROBS and tfdickson

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I bought my first in the summer of 1999, over the phone, from Skip at The Briary. For a long time they were the only US source for Cavicchi pipes. I bought a few more and they were all perfectly drilled and had excellent grain, especially for the price. I ended up cycling out of them because they tended to be on the larger side, both in weight and chamber dimensions. I’m thinking I should revisit them as my preference has changed toward larger pipes since then.

I never considered his rusticated or blasted pipes as it seemed silly when his smooth pipes were so well grained. It would be like buying a smooth JT Cooke or a rusticated Upshall.

Reactions: hawky454 and BROBS

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I have several of them, many first bought many years ago when they were not so popular and the price was very reasonable. As folks became to appreciate how good they were the prices went up and less and less appeared on the estate market (people hanging onto them more?).

Even with the price increases IMHO they are as good or better than Castellos.... and relatively cheaper. I still buy one or 2 a year even now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The stems were always the weak point for me, I believe they used pre-molded stems (always acrylic), vs hand-cut from Castello. Cavicchi grain always outshines Castello (and many others).

Reactions: Papamique
Status
Not open for further replies.