Causes of Raw/irritated/tender Throat from Smoking.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’ve just heard through the grapevine that some people react to older pipes and whatever might be left in them.
Absolute tosh !
Did you see that on YouTube ? 😱

The majority of my pipes are estates and I have NEVER come across this problem
Estate pipes need to be deep cleaned. This is a real skill and does require some knowledge of one is to bring the pipe to a state of being like it was when new.
^^^^^ Great advice 👍

Reactions: Briar Tuck

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Make sure to use type of cleaning agent that won't cause problem like alcohol you can drink. Don't use Lysol or some house cleaning chemicals. Nothing wrong with estate pipes. Large number of forum members use them. And some are beautiful vintage pipes. It's possible some bugs have lived in the airway, I hope you at least ran pipe cleaner before smoking that pipe.

Reactions: TheWhale13

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Most of my pipes are estate pipes and I've never had any issues with them. Even if you failed to clean and sanitize them the worst you would get is some nasty flavors from all the built up tars and old ghosts, nothing that would make you sick.

If you are smoking fast and hot you can certainly expect to get tongue bite and probably some throat irritation too. I suspect that it's either that or a throat infection that coincidentally took hold the same time as you were smoking the pipe.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, ever since they posted that article about the hundreds of years old African pipe from which they could get the DNA of the smoker... that was my confirmation that no matter how much you clean them, ream them, rub them, dip them in alcohol, or bury them under piles of earth... you still can get the slaver from the previous owner(s), or even catch something from said thing, when you smoke USED pipes.

Now THAT's actual second-hand smoke!

Reactions: Steddy and brian64

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I don't get the fuss. It's just a sore throat. It will pass, or it won't. Then it might be something that you should get checked out. I get why people don't want to own an estate, it's the same thing as buying second hand clothes etc. But to it being dangerous, that is ridiculous. Even if you can find DNA in an old pipe, that doesn't mean anything, you can find DNA in a 10 000 year old mammoth carcass.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Doesn't matter how many times it happens, I'm still surprised when folks come to forums like this one for medical advice or diagnosis. Here's my advice: if it hurts when you smoke, stop smoking, if it persists see a medical professional. All worth what you paid for it,and no I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
We haven’t heard what other pipes you may be smoking, nor what the type of pipe the estate is. So, it’s hard to diagnose exactly what’s going on.
But, it sounds like you may have cooked your sinuses or one of the glands in your throat. I did this once when I first got serious about pipes. I sat in my truck with a brand new pipe and a bag of nasty cherry goopy goop and just cooked my throat. It took me weeks to get back on the horse.

I’m not sure if being an estate was the problem. Nor, whether aromatic goop may have contributed, but You could probably do well with some healing time. I also gargled with aloe juice several times a day.

Clean the pipe, or throw it away. But definitely rest your throat.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
You are smoking a dead man’s pipe.
There are two ghosts you must contend with, the one in the pipe and the ghost of the man. Both can cause all manner of afflictions. A sore throat is the least of them.

I’d be concerned with the slow poisoning of my insides by imbibing the ghost in the pipe. It’s not just a ghost of previous tobacco smoked, it’s also made of something much more sinister. The accumulation of uncountable exhalations from the lungs and mouth of a stranger who possibly ate sardines before he smoked his pipe.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Back when I started I'd get irritation if I smoked many pipes over one day. Now it doesn't happen. I think it's down to technique. Though irritation is your bodies way of saying something is damaged and should be babied a little bit.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
To the OP, I think your estate pipe is fine and most likely has nothing to do with your sore throat. Sadly, I imagine that’s the kind of false information one might come across honestly from a self appointed (youthful) expert on YouTube. If so, as this thread has pointed out, I think you’ll fair better (as I have) by sticking to the sometimes crotchety, rarely humble, always funny, and almost always wise advice from the old codgers on this forum!