Causes of Raw/irritated/tender Throat from Smoking.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Title reformed for capitals and brevity. Original:

"Does anyone get a raw/irritated/tender throat from smoking estate pipes or specific tobaccos?"

I just bought this estate from my local B&M several weeks ago and I swear this pipe is cursed. At first, I couldn't get the cake out of it, not even with a reamer, then, I couldn't get the smell of 40+ year old aromatic smoke out of it, then, the stem cracked on me, then it wouldn't keep lit, NOW my throat is all messed up! Went out lunting on my lunch break yesterday with the old sucker and -admittedly- got my pipe going pretty hot. Out of the blue last night, I started getting a sore throat on my left side but didn't feel like a normal sore throat, it was actually sore as if I had a canker sore in my throat. Today, it seems like the pain isn't necessarily in my throat but more of a tender, aching, inflamed oropharynx (for my people familiar with the oral anatomy). I have heard rumors before that estate pipes can cause all sorts of short or long term throat issues, have any of you ever had this before?

Or.... I could just have a viral infection 🤣.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Yup, this is the place for medical analyses. See your doctor!
Unfortunately I don’t have good medical insurance so that’s not an option for me now. Most likely it’s just an infection, nothing my body can’t handle. Was just curious if anyone else has had this. Also possible I just burned my throat retrohaling since I accidentally got it going pretty hot

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Unfortunately I don’t have good medical insurance so that’s not an option for me now. Most likely it’s just an infection, nothing my body can’t handle. Was just curious if anyone else has had this. Also possible I just burned my throat retrohaling since I accidentally got it going pretty hot
Estate pipes need to be deep cleaned. This is a real skill and does require some knowledge of one is to bring the pipe to a state of being like it was when new. One thing most people don't have at their disposal is an ozone chamber. Ozone destroys bad smells and germs. But, a good set of brushes, drills, and alcohol can work wonders.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Estate pipes need to be deep cleaned. This is a real skill and does require some knowledge of one is to bring the pipe to a state of being like it was when new. One thing most people don't have at their disposal is an ozone chamber. Ozone destroys bad smells and germs. But, a good set of brushes, drills, and alcohol can work wonders.
Thanks for the advice!

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
During my early years as a smoker,I had some pretty awful fits of tongue bite ,mouth bite from power smoking certain over humidified aromatic tobaccos. Estate pipes bought from a reputable dealer will assure you of a good,clean,disinfected pipe.
Every estate I have ever bought has been a top performer.I still like to dip a pipe cleaner in distilled spirits, and run it through the stem of all new or estate pipes I receive.You can remove alot of unseen production residue this way.Happy smokes,and don't give up.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Unfortunately I don’t have good medical insurance so that’s not an option for me now
Since you don't list where you live, I can't definitively offer my suggestion. Most lacations of any size have "free" clinics or some sort of free/low cost medical care. Hospitals won't turn you away from their emergency lobby. So, you most likely have no excuse for ignoring a medical complaint.

I have heard rumors before that estate pipes can cause all sorts of short or long term throat issues
Where did you learn of this? I've suggested such is possible but, I've never heard, anecdotal or otherwise, of used pipes causing medical problems. As you wrote, rumor. Most likely exactly that ... rumors.

Reactions: captpat and jpmcwjr

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I just bought this estate from my local B&M several weeks ago and I swear this pipe is cursed. At first, I couldn't get the cake out of it, not even with a reamer, then, I couldn't get the smell of 40+ year old aromatic smoke out of it, then, the stem cracked on me, then it wouldn't keep lit, NOW my throat is all messed up! Went out lunting on my lunch break yesterday with the old sucker and -admittedly- got my pipe going pretty hot. Out of the blue last night, I started getting a sore throat on my left side but didn't feel like a normal sore throat, it was actually sore as if I had a canker sore in my throat. Today, it seems like the pain isn't necessarily in my throat but more of a tender, aching, inflamed oropharynx (for my people familiar with the oral anatomy). I have heard rumors before that estate pipes can cause all sorts of short or long term throat issues, have any of you ever had this before?

Or.... I could just have a viral infection 🤣.
Don't listen to any of these yahoos.

This is the dude you need to consult on this subject @olkofri:

olkofri.jpg