PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Years back I had several Castello "Occhio di Pernice" (Eye of the partridge) pass through my hands. They were similar in that they were all crosscut. The front and back of the bowl had horizontal straight grain and the sides were birds eye. I hate to say it but from one of the pics of the side of the pipe it doesn't look like an Occhio to me. Also, looking at the shape of the pipe it lacks a certain elegance you usally find in Castello shapes. Frankly, I can't help but wonder if it's a fake. These are just my impressions for what they're worth. puffy

Reactions: dunnyboy

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Well my friend, I can assure you it's not a fake. Just didn't post every picture of it due to the fact it's not in hand (ebay screenshots kinda blurry). Never said it's an ochio, but for it not being an ochio it has better birds eye then some ochios I've seen. The observation I make is due to having a "trademark" (4k) which is cross cut with nice birds eye but not an ochio but could be because, depending on a bad day or unforseen flaws in the briar. I'll pay for a castello "castello" that might have been a "collection" grade but had a minor flaw in some way that pushed it a grade down. And save a few hundred bucks. I'm still young I'm just living life. If in the future I come across an ochio that I think is worth the grade (like Sabbles) I'll grab it. But the pipe in discussion is definitely worth the price and grade to me. (especially because I bought it lol).

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
@Puffaluffaguss, do you have the pipe in hand yet? If or when you do, please let us know whether there was a "K' grading stamped on it. Curious minds want to know!:)
It's actually coming from Italy, it's still in Milan Linate, but it's on its way. In the mean time I'm gonna be building my catalog of my collection. How should I go about posting my pipes. Should I start a new thread or post under the a pre made thread for certain country's or makers?

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I'm not a moderator but I think you should at least post it in this thread with clear pictures of the nomenclature. You could probably show it off in the show us your pipe or the Castello thread too.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Finally!!!!! I ordered it the 20th of April but the wait was well worth it. No grade (or size) stamps, but comparing it to my20220513_181346.jpg other castellos the bowl is about a 4k size bowl.
20220513_180120.jpg20220513_180344.jpg20220513_180514.jpg
These are all the stamps including the stem stamp which is hard to see in white but it's there lol. I still don't understand why it doesn't have a grade (or size) stamps. But I'm happy with my purchase and for under $200 I can't be more pleased. For all the responses to this thread I can't thank you all enough.

A little eye candy for your time!!!20220513_182506.jpg20220513_182314.jpg20220513_182403.jpg20220513_182541.jpg

• Love