PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents,

I just acquired my first Castello. I am a bit confused about what appears to be some kind of filter. Please see the photo below. Is this a filter? If so, I must I smoke it with a filter? I did some research, but did not see mention of this. Seller made no mention either (not a big surprise, but...).

Thanks in advance.

That's a tube or stem liner if you will. It is supposedly there to save your stummel from burnouts and possibly make your smoke dryer. Dunhill sometimes uses them too.

I know in Dunhills you can remove them and lots of people do without any repercussions. If it doesn't come out, it will sure make it easier to keep your air passage clean and clear.

Reactions: python

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That's a tube or stem liner if you will. It is supposedly there to save your stummel from burnouts and possibly make your smoke dryer. Dunhill sometimes uses them too.

I know in Dunhills you can remove them and lots of people do without any repercussions. If it doesn't come out, it will sure make it easier to keep your air passage clean and clear.

Thanks, sandollar.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Thanks, ssjones. In my case, 1947 + 25 = 1972

Not ancient, but a classic in my estimation. Now, how to acquire a stem liner?

BTW, tried the pipe tonight. I am a believer now.
The dating system started with 40 in the castle in 1987 the 40th anniversary of Castello. Does your pipe have a number in a little castle? The number stamped on the stem is for the straw length. If you can find a pack they have a number on the back flap if the number is higher than your stem you can trim them down to fit. Ask Marco at Novelli if he knows who might have a pack or call Mike Gluckler at Briar Blues, Cup O Joe's or Iwan Ries.?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
The dating system started with 40 in the castle in 1987 the 40th anniversary of Castello. Does your pipe have a number in a little castle? The number stamped on the stem is for the straw length. If you can find a pack they have a number on the back flap if the number is higher than your stem you can trim them down to fit. Ask Marco at Novelli if he knows who might have a pack or call Mike Gluckler at Briar Blues, Cup O Joe's or Iwan Ries.?

I don't see a castle. Perhaps a number 5 on the stem under "Hand Made Castello". The underside of the stummel:
(KKK) 25 (CARLO SCOTTI)

Oct 7, 2016
5 is the length of the straw. Millimeters, I think, never measured. Most you see will be 3 or 5. I have a GG 15 that is a 6, don’t recall ever seeing another one with that stamp. Not sure what the resurrected thread has to say about these, but they were Carlo Scotti’s improvement of the metal Dunhill inner tube. No metal to heat up.

25 is the shape# for a Dublin.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
5 is the length of the straw. Millimeters, I think, never measured. Most you see will be 3 or 5. I have a GG 15 that is a 6, don’t recall ever seeing another one with that stamp. Not sure what the resurrected thread has to say about these, but they were Carlo Scotti’s improvement of the metal Dunhill inner tube. No metal to heat up.

25 is the shape# for a Dublin.

Thanks, oldgeezer! Much appreciated.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker
Status
Not open for further replies.