New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fell in love with this one, but couldn't get it. Medical bills are a bitch, but hey we can always windowshop.
Your views on this shape? I dont like Hawkbills except this one. Castello Sea Rock Briar Hawkbill (KKKK)
7NMScjk.jpg

GdRLX8o.jpg

7RzoIGK.jpg

OjMal2y.jpg

More details here - Castello KKKK Sea Rock Hawkbill

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Very nice, I love the castello searock finish; it is so rugged and soothing to handle. My first castello was a searock billiard and it started out performing well and has gotten to be even better with use -- a sweet, smooth smoker.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Your views on this shape?

Really good SR carving but I agree with CC on this one.
I love it but the stem is about 1/2" too long.

Yeah, this is the stretched out, what I think of as the European style. I prefer a big fat round bowl, thicker shank with a more aggressive bend rounded out with just a short little bill for a stem.
Reading SP's copy on this piece, I know Radice is very tight lipped about his time at the muthaship. I wish he would open up sometime so we could get some of the inside story of Castello before it is to late. 8O

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Sorry to hear about the medical bills, sir.
As far as the pipe, I think Costella seldom does wrong. I find myself enjoying their designs, even on shapes that I'm usually not a fan -- the hawkbill being one of those shapes... but how can I not like that Castello version?!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Actually I do like this particular style. I have several hawkbills, but most, including most of Castellos, don't appeal to me. Most look too clunky. I like certain clunky shapes, like Pete's B24 and Sav 320, but most hawkbills don't do it for me. The hawkbill shape is highly variable and somehow slight variations jump out to my eye, whereas most other shapes can get away with large departures from the norm.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.