PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Yes, but really they are all names for the rusticated entry level Castellos. Different colors, different markets, different eras, it is complicated.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I like the natural one that gets gradually darker towards the rim of the bowl. How is that one called?

Oct 7, 2016
I like the natural one that gets gradually darker towards the rim of the bowl. How is that one called?
That is called a “fumed” top. In the last year or so, the Castello workshop has stamped many of those with the “fumed” top as Old Sea Rock. But I have one that is just stamped Sea Rock, purchased new in 2018. I also have an Old Sea Rock from the 1980’s that does not have the “”fumed” top. Many older American market light finish rusticated with the “fumed” top we’re stamped Old Antiquari, at a time when elsewhere in the world the Old Antiquari stamp was for sandblasted pipes. I said it was complicated. :D
If you like the pipe, don’t worry about the nomenclature, Cantu is notoriously inconsistent.

Oct 7, 2016
I should add that some nomenclature is important, like the difference between a smooth pipe with a Trademark stamp and a smooth pipe stamped Collection Fiamatta,

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Thank you, oldgeezersmoker. I did notice the inconsistency, hence my question. I wasn't really worried about nomenclature pr se but was trying to make my life easier looking for my ideal first Castello. Oh well.

Oct 7, 2016
Most of the rusticated production coming out of Castello now with the fumed tops does seem to have the Old Sea Rock stamp. Just looking at what is available from domestic and Italian vendors on the web, there are many of them that I find that are very attractive. I wish you the best in your search.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have one of the rusticated fumed top stamped Old Anitiquari. Its a Carlo Scotti stamped, so pre-2007, but I'm pretty sure was one of latter examples. I have seen a few of the rusticated Old Antiquaries, but this was the first fumed one I've seen. I've seen (and sadly missed out on) one simply stamped Antiquari (no Old) that looked like a cross between a light rustication and a sandblast.

The only real difference I have noticed is that older Castellos have a much more craggy, deeply gouged rustication, while the later has a more uniform rustication.

Status
Not open for further replies.