PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My first Castello, from Iwan Ries in Chicago. I am almost hesitant to fire up this beauty, but will do so one fine day!
xTxwskz.jpg

GuXVX5u.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like your decision to buy a Costello. Temper it slowly and evenly and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

:clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jpm', beautiful pipe, great texture and powerful design. I'd encourage you to dive right and in pack that burner. The sooner you do, the sooner it will be completely broken in and provide the special joy that it can.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Quite right gents! But breaking in a Ryan Alden author equally fine and a couple others I got in at the Chicago pipe show. Next week sometime!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I absolutely love my Castello Sea Rock pipes and hope you do as well ... congrats! :clap:
BTW ... what's the shape number on that one?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Markings are hard for me to read. It looks like XXX or KKK (!). Also, "US" appears to the left of the stamps, and on the far right is an oval which may read "Kimo, kino, king, kimp" or something else!

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
It's KKK. the number of k's determine the size with 4k's being the largest. Kino is Franco Coppolos nickname.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Really nice pipe! And Castello seems to always get a lot of praise around here...sure it will smoke great.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jpmcwjr:
That is your second pipe of the evening I wish I owned. The first was your newest Bertram and now this Searock.
Good on you, my friend.
I am so happy for your successes.
Fnord

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Report on smoking it: Just fine! Only disappointment is a small area on the inner rim of the bowl has charred. Not smudged, but actually charred. I am pretty careful about not scorching my rims, but there must be a soft spot in the briar there. Probably only the smoker would take note of it though.
Very happy with the pipe, and thanks for the encomiums*, gents!
*Word of the Day, June, 1964.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I suspect this has to do more with whatever material they are currently choosing to finish the bowl interior and rim with than your technique. I've noticed this too on a few recent Castello's. I'm certain it is not related to burning wood, in my case at least. I'll add I've only experienced this previously in coated bowls in which the binding agent expands and flows outward over the rim.
Enjoy the pipe! It's a real looker.

Status
Not open for further replies.