Castello Sea Rock KKK Billiard (US market)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
For all practical purposes this pipe is an Italian LB, which is why I bought it. :mrgreen:
I wanted to test drive it side-by-side with by LBs to settle once in for all who made better pipes, the Italians or the Brits.
I expect to have an answer to that question after smoking several hundred more pounds of tobacco through them. Until then, I'm afraid I'll just have to keep slaving away, smoking my favorite blend while reading a good book in my comfiest chair.
Poor me.
I also got it for the perfectly cut, quarter carat vvvvs blue-white diamond that Mr. Castello puts in the stems of his US-market-bound pipes. (He thinks he's smuggling them out successfully to finance the secret estate he's building on the central California coast---the taxes in Italy are a bitch---but I caught onto his little game long ago.)
48.7 grams, 6.0" long
-
P1020179.jpg

P1020184.jpg

P1020189.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm not sure yet. I should know in another thirty or forty thousand bowls, though.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It's to bad Castello dosen't stamp the shape numbers any more but it's a 15, a very wide ranging shape that I collect. The Old America stamp indicates that it's a pipe with the old Hollco Rohr trademark. They do it to keep the trademark active. 8O

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for the info, Dave. :D
If you (or anyone else here) likes to keep track of date stuff to know when certain stamps began, ended, etc. this #15 was bought new in May of 2005.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Funny that a Sea Rock that big would only be a 3k. I've got a kkkk that's smaller. Times change I guess!

Oct 7, 2016
The size stamps are assigned by Franco Coppo after a dealer makes his selection and the price for the total deal is fixed. Just today, I found a Natural Vergen KKKK and two Old Antiquari KK's at different Italian retailers, the exact same shape. If the shops own measurements are to be believed, and I do believe them, the three pipes differ by no more than a couple of mm's and a few grams. The difference? The Natural Vergen is a drop dead killer that could have been stamped with the Pi designation but was not. The Old Antiquaris are nice, but plain Jane except for smooth polished rims. Keep in mind that Castello grading "should" be about the size in Sea Rocks, Old Antiquaris and Natural Vergens. But that is from a consumerrs point of view. From a dealers point of view, and Mr.Coppo's, grading is about the money. And things were no different in Carlo Scotti's day.
Nice 15, George, regardless of the number of K's.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Gorgeous Castello George! I approve! After you get it broke in properly for me, I'll very happy to take it off your hands!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipe. It is tough to find better smokers than Castello. I just wish they made vulcanite stems, I would own a dozen at least instead of my lone one. Congrats on your new pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Admirably gnarly finish and classic shape. Castello tends to be little heavy, but owners love 'em.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Very manly pipe there, George! You own some very beautiful pipes; and you keep them in great condition.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, your selfless dedication to science is an inspiration to us all.
You know what they say: it's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.