PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Stoked to see we have an Italian sub forum!
Just arrived from an Italian seller, a Castello SC55 Sea Rock in a natural finish. It's an old one, missing the Carlo Scotti stamp. The only time I've seen Castellos without the stamp is on older pipes with a Reg No. Super clean, inside the shank was still the natural wood color, along the bottom of the bowl. I'd guess maybe 15 smokes through it. Smokes wonderfully, it's a keeper :puffpipe:
Photo%20Nov%2002%2C%208%2054%2050%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2002%2C%208%2055%2045%20PM.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Nice grab! That classic rustication is great I've been on the lookout for a small 55 in Vergin finish for a while now.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
There's often no rhyme or reason to Castello's nomenclature but I would suspect they just ran out of room on the shank. Anyway that is what a Sea Rock carving should look like. I wonder what the story with it is? This was a Wally Frank/Hallco US import back in Italy. It looks to fresh to be from the 60's 8O

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Thanks gents. It has the old style font, I have a stacked billiard with the same font, Reg No., and no Carlo Scotti stamp. Must be the way they did it in the earlier days.
I agree Dave, it looks like it was smoked a handful of times and put away. Usually there is a bunch of gunk in the shank of pipes this old, but it was still virgin briar.
Bigpond, have any Beckers you'd want to trade for this? ;)

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Well, it's a good thing some people think they're overpriced, otherwise they'd really go for some really crazy money.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Code, Ha! I prefer a bit more chin...and really I'm looking for a group 1 or a really svelte group 2 55. Believe it or not, they do pop up sporadically. I might consider letting a Becker go for a chance at your Eltang though...dunno.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I've seen the little Castellos pop up here and there, they're usually snapped up pretty quick. The Eltang ... you may as well ask for a kidney ;)

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I'd never guess that was a 55. What the heck did we turn the shape into! If all 55s looked like this one I'd own one!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Code:
Your pipe is gorgeous.
I've always been intrigued by those beautifully craggy Sea Rocks but they've always eluded me - price, timing or luck - I haven't scored one yet, but I will someday.
I hope your Castello becomes a favorite and if it smokes half as well as it looks, then you drew a belly buster inside straight, friend.
Well done.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.