Castello Old Antiquari, Estate Cavicchi's ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
K is just a measure of size, if I'm not mistaken.

Briar blues usually has some Cavicchi Estates. Fantastic pipes, btw, I own two. Pulver's Prior Briar often has a couple as well.

Smoking Pipes has a couple too:

Reactions: Paco Lastra

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As far as I know, K is the grading, size goes for G or GG.

Thank you very much for the advice on Cavicchi's !!!

Stay safe !!
It depends on the pipe. Smooth pipes the letters are for grading, all other pipes they denote size. You referenced Old Antiquari finishes, in which case the letters would indicate size, rather than grading, since they are not smooth pipes.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It depends on the pipe. Smooth pipes the letters are for grading, all other pipes they denote size. You referenced Old Antiquari finishes, in which case the letters would indicate size, rather than grading, since they are not smooth pipes.
Yes. In smooth finish letters are grade. In others they represent size. K for Old Antiquari would be small-ish.

Paco Lastra

Lurker
Jan 29, 2021
Yes. In smooth finish letters are grade. In others they represent size. K for Old Antiquari would be small-ish.
I think I found the answer, and you and alaskanpiper are correct.
For old antiquari pipes to be sold in the USA (US), they use G and GG for the size, any for any other country they use K.

Thanks a lot !!!

Reactions: danimalia

Paco Lastra

Lurker
Jan 29, 2021
K is just a measure of size, if I'm not mistaken.

Briar blues usually has some Cavicchi Estates. Fantastic pipes, btw, I own two. Pulver's Prior Briar often has a couple as well.

Smoking Pipes has a couple too:

Thanks a lot bro, I already bought my Cavicchi 4 c !!!!

I really appreciate your advice !!!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Now you have to post a picture of your new Cavicchi! I admire a lot of his pipes. They often have some incredible grain.
They most certainly do, especially straight grain. He is a master. Just bought this one last week. Price was too good to pass on. One of his Dublins I own is probably my favorite pipe. Amazing smokers, too.

Cavicchi 1.jpg
Cavicchi 2.jpg
Cavicchi 3.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah! I have 1 Cavicchi - a smooth 4c that’s amazing but cost about double of what my usual range is.
Yeah, both of mine are estates for that reason. I've always wanted a new one, but when you can commission an artisan piece for the same price (Or just save a few hundred bucks) it's tough to pull the trigger.

The above pipe was $200, but I scored my Dublin (in similar condition) on ebay for $103.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Yo, @Paco Lastra and anyone else interested. Just saw this interesting Cavicchi posted on the SP.EU site. Not entirely sure what I think of it, but it's interesting, has fine grain, and seems priced fairly.
It's the Italian take on a Rhodesian. The elaborated bowl tells you it wants a flare, so don't look at it with a standard shape chart. Not that unusual on Italian pipes, where bigger is always better.