PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Was this pipe from someone other than an authorized Castello distributor?? Sounds to me like you bought this on eBay or something like it. If you did this is a long way from being a Castello problem.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The seller is offering a guarantee if anything should happen, but states they had already talked to Castello who reassured him it’s “fine”

would you tempt fate, as it’s taken me almost a year to find this shape, or ship it back to Italy from the US?
If I had it in writing then yes I would tempt it. If they assure me it's fine and it has a guarantee that covers anything. Then yes I'd risk it.

Reactions: kcghost
Mar 1, 2014
Pretty shocking that Castello put out a pipe in that condition.

The problem with any sort of guarantee from the retailer or even Castello themselves is with the way the world is today it's anyone's guess if any of these people will still be in business 10 years from now.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Blasts still show the grain, but it's the hard growth grain often appearing as rings. They've got a tactile appeal that I enjoy that smooth pipes don't offer.
I agree now ... I have slowly gravitated to two rusticated pipes but haven't progressed to sandblast or dark or black ... yet ! I will always prefer smooth and lighter stain but now see what others see in slightly darker rusticated. Since both of those types darken I can't see getting an all black pipe yet.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I agree now ... I have slowly gravitated to two rusticated pipes but haven't progressed to sandblast or dark or black ... yet ! I will always prefer smooth and lighter stain but now see what others see in slightly darker rusticated. Since both of those types darken I can't see getting an all black pipe yet.
Haven't really warmed up to black blasts. All of mine are natural, brown, or red.

20210801_230824.jpg20220408_155527.jpg20211221_131026.jpg

I've got these but they're a deep bloody red for Halloween.

20211026_004437.jpg